Marysville police dealt with nearly a dozen reports of thefts from cars between Aug. 1 and Aug. 6 in what Police Chief Floyd Golden called "crimes of opportunity."
The thefts were reported on West Third Street, West Sixth Street, West Ninth Street, London Avenue, Taylor Avenue, Grove Street, Milcrest Drive, Quail Hollow Drive South and Windmill Drive. In addition, a Windsor Drive resident reported someone entered her unlocked vehicle and went through her belongings but nothing seemed to be missing.
Golden said the items stolen ranged from loose change to GPS devices to just about anything of value.
He said the best defense is to keep car doors locked and valuables out of sight, even in the daytime. "We often receive calls of someone walking through parking lots, checking for unlocked cars. It is very seldom that a car is actually broken into unless there was something of perceived value clearly visible," he said.
In other Marysville police reports:
* Police are still investigating a fire at a home on West Eighth Street which occurred at 1:41 a.m. Aug. 7. Significant damage was done to the home, but no one was there at the time and no one was hurt.
* A resident of West Eighth Street reported at 3:03 a.m. Aug. 3 someone set a rag on fire and placed it under the deck at his home.
* A resident of South Maple Street reported at 2:38 p.m. Aug. 4 that someone attempted to burn down his shed.
* Electronic equipment was reported stolen at 8:13 p.m. Aug. 3 from a home on Boerger Road.
* On Aug. 6 at 9:33 p.m., a resident of Glen Oaks Drive reported a dark gray truck stopped in front of her house. Someone got out of the vehicle and took her son's Disney Cars bike with training wheels.
* A 22-year-old Marysville woman was arrested for theft and possession of drug paraphernalia at 5:57 p.m. Aug. 1 after an incident on East Fifth Street.
* A 38-year-old Marysville man was charged with theft, possession of drugs and possession of drug paraphernalia following an incident at 6:46 p.m. Aug. 1 at a business on Coleman's Crossing Boulevard.
* Police charged a 29-year-old Marysville man with theft at 9:54 p.m. Aug. 1 after someone saw him allegedly stealing items from a business on Coleman's Crossing Drive.
* A 33-year-old Indiana man was arrested on Catalpa Place and charged with OVI following a traffic accident shortly before 9 p.m. Aug. 5.
Union County Sheriff's Office
* A Westerville man died early Saturday morning, Aug. 3, when he crashed his vehicle into the back of a dump truck on state Route 42 in Union County. David C. McDaniel, 52, died at the scene. Authorities said he was driving a Ford F-250 north when he failed to stop in time for the dump truck, which was turning left onto Jerome Road.
The dump truck's driver was treated at the scene for minor injuries.
The crash happened in Millcreek Township, not far from the Union-Delaware county line, at 6:50 a.m.
Route 42 was closed for about four hours as a result.
* At 9:33 a.m. Aug. 1, a deputy went to the Union County Sports Complex on County Home Road where ball fields had been damaged by several all-terrain vehicles that were taken from a shed on the property.
* A 34-year-old Raymond woman was arrested for domestic violence and taken to the Tri County Regional Jail after deputies were called to a home in the 22000 block of state Route 347 at 6:30 p.m. Aug. 1.