Marysville News

Repair work sparked Marysville fire

Enlarge Image
AMY ROGAN/THISWEEKNEWS
Smoke can be seen caused by a fire at Lawns Plus Property Maintenance on March 17 in Marysville
By

A Monday afternoon fire at Lawns Plus Property Maintenance, 335 N. Maple St., started when an employee was repairing a lawn mower, the Marysville Division of Fire has determined.

According to Anna Krutowskis, the city’s public information officer, the employee was welding a lawn mower deck when heat from the welder burned a hole in the gas tank. About five gallons of gasoline spilled onto the floor and caught fire.

Firefighters from Marysville, Pleasant Valley Fire and Concord, Liberty, Perry, Scioto and Union townships, as well as the Emergency Management Agency, responded around 1 p.m. Monday, March 17 and extinguished the blaze.

The fire reignited overnight. At 3:15 a.m. March 18, a Marysville police officer on patrol checked on the building and saw the flames.

This time, Marysville firefighters received assistance from Allen, Liberty and Union townships. Rausch Excavating was called to remove the building’s roof so crews could get to the fire.  

According to Marysville Battalion Chief Mark Ropp, a wood floor in a second-floor storage area had rekindled. The fire was extinguished after several hours.

The 40-by-60-foot building was destroyed, but no injuries were reported.

Check back with ThisWeekNEWS.com for the latest updates.

—Amy Rogan

Comments