Marysville News

Repair work sparked Lawns Plus blaze

By
View Slideshow
AMY ROGAN/THISWEEKNEWS
Firefighters battle the March 17 fire at Lawns Plus Property Maintenance.
Buy This Photo

A March 17 fire at Lawns Plus Property Maintenance started when an employee was repairing a lawn mower, the Marysville Division of Fire has determined.

According to Anna Krutowskis, the city's public information officer, the employee was welding a lawn mower deck when heat from the welder burned a hole in the gas tank. About five gallons of gasoline spilled onto the floor and caught fire.

Firefighters from Marysville, Pleasant Valley Fire and Concord, Liberty, Perry, Scioto and Union townships, as well as the Emergency Management Agency, responded around 1 p.m. and extinguished the blaze.

The business is located at 335 N. Maple St.

The fire reignited overnight. At 3:15 a.m. March 18, a Marysville police officer on patrol checked on the building and saw the flames.

This time, Marysville firefighters received assistance from Allen, Liberty and Union townships.

Rausch Excavating was called to remove the building's roof so crews could get to the fire.

According to Marysville Battalion Chief Mark Ropp, a wood floor in a second-floor storage area had rekindled. The fire was extinguished after several hours.

The 40-by-60-foot building was destroyed, but no injuries were reported.

Comments