New Albany students evacuated because of gas leak
The New Albany elementary building annex was evacuated at about 8:40 a.m. Friday, Aug. 23, after crews resurfacing High Street struck a gas line.
The Plain Township Fire Department received the call at 8:36 a.m. and crews from Columbia Gas arrived at 9 a.m., said Battalion Chief Joe Brown.
Brown said the elementary students in the annex were evacuated into the 2-5 building because of the flammable gas. Several offices at 68 N. High St. also were evacuated.
Both lanes of High Street between Johnstown Road and Chatham Green in New Albany reopened by early afternoon.
Crews from Mifflin and Jefferson townships and Columbus assisted at the scene, Brown said.
New Albany spokesman Scott McAfee said the gas line was unmarked.
This is the second time this year crews working on resurfacing High Street have hit a gas line. The first was on July 15 when the road was closed from 9:30 to 11 a.m.
Students participating in a summer program and the same offices were evacuated then, as well.