New Albany police cited a 26-year-old woman for improper transport of a firearm, using weapons while intoxicated, drug possession, OVI, an unsafe vehicle, failure to control and driving at a slow speed at 5 a.m. July 5 following a traffic stop on state Route 161 at New Albany-Condit Road.
An officer on patrol on Route 161 heard a loud noise and noticed a vehicle traveling 20 mph with only one headlight, the front passenger tire missing and heavy damage to that side of the vehicle, according to the police report.
The officer stopped the car and noticed the smell of alcohol and marijuana in the vehicle. The car was being driven by the woman and a man was asleep in the passenger seat, the report said.
When asked for identification, the man reached into the glove box, which contained a handgun. The officer removed both people from the vehicle and placed them in handcuffs, the report said.
Marijuana also was found in the vehicle glove box and 16 oxycodone pills were found with the woman's purse, the report said.
Police determined the vehicle had struck a fire hydrant on Johnstown Road north of Smith's Mill Road after finding pieces of the vehicle at the scene.
The man, who said he was unaware the gun was in the vehicle, was not charged, the report said.
In other recent incident reports from the New Albany Police Department:
* Police are investigating the theft of several vehicles taken from a business and a residence in June.
Two John Deere Gator utility vehicles were reported stolen between 2:15 a.m. June 19 and 3:45 a.m. June 23 from JD Equipment, 5740 Zarley St.
The two vehicles were parked outside the business and did not have keys in them, the police report said.
Police reviewed video surveillance and found two white men took the first vehicle June 19 by pushing it onto a trailer.
The second vehicle appeared to be taken by the same men June 23, but the two were able to start the vehicle and drive it off the lot, the report said.
In addition, a 2010 Honda CRV was reported stolen between 10 p.m. June 29 and 6 a.m. June 30 from a home in the 4000 block of Brooksview Circle.
Keys were left inside the vehicle, which was parked in a garage. The garage door had been left open overnight, the police report said.
* Police found four boys with marijuana at 9:02 p.m. July 2, in a vehicle parked in the first block of Harper Lane.
Parents were called and the four were referred into the city's juvenile diversion program for first-time offenders. Three of the boys were 16 years old and one was 17 years old.
If the four complete the program, the incident will be stricken from their records.
* Police are investigating a Craigslist scam reported at 10:30 a.m. July 4 by a resident of New Albany Farms.
The resident claimed to have found an apartment in New York City for a child who would be living there. The resident wired $4,400 to the person claiming to lease the apartment before Craigslist posted the advertisement as a scam.
* Two adults were cited on different charges at 10:04 p.m. July 4 during the city's fireworks celebration.
The adults were in a vehicle that swerved through cones set up for pedestrian lanes at New Albany High School.
Officers flagged the vehicle to stop and after approaching, noticed marijuana remnants and a glass pipe inside, according to the police report.
The driver, a 22-year-old man, was cited for reckless operation and failure to signal. A 17-year-old female passenger, who had the pipe near her purse, was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia.
Two other passengers were not cited in the incident.
* Police cited a 17-year-old boy for open container, underage possession of alcohol and OVI as an underage person at 12:57 a.m. July 9 on New Albany-Condit Road following a traffic stop for speeding.
The juvenile was found with a bottle of rum in the vehicle, the police report said.
* Police cited a 37-year-old man for OVI at 9:33 p.m. July 11 at Johnstown Road at state Route 161 following a traffic stop.
The officer noticed the vehicle was traveling in multiple lanes and made the stop, the police report said.
* Police are investigating criminal damaging that occurred between 8 p.m. July 8 and 7 a.m. July 9 at the Plain Township Aquatic Center, 7650 Swickard Woods Blvd.
Someone gained access by pulling two fence posts apart at the front entrance and used sunscreen to write graffiti on a picnic table, according to the police report.
Sunscreen also was put on the door handle at the main entrance and a water hose was dragged over the fence, the report said.
Plain Township has video surveillance of the incident, which is being reviewed.
* Police cited a 21-year-old man for possession of marijuana at 11:30 p.m July 12 in the 8000 block of Parsons Pass.
Police were responding to a complaint about loud noise from the residence.
Officers noticed one of the people at the scene had a marijuana cigarette. The man was cited and the cigarette confiscated, the police report said.