A resident of F Avenue on the Near East Side reported an attempted robbery in the parking lot of a Zumstein Drive motel at 2:05 a.m. Sept. 30.
It was only an attempted robbery because the 18-year-old victim had no money on him at the time he was approached, according to police.
"The victim stated the suspect said he really needed cash and proceeded to pull a small black handgun from his person and point it at the victim," the report indicated. "The victim stated he was scared so he put his head down and the suspect backed away while shooting a single gunshot into the air."
Nothing was taken and no suspect could be located after police were notified.
In other Columbus police reports:
* A 13-year-old girl said she was punched two times by two different people on Shanley drive at 4:54 p.m. Sept. 30.
* A South Side woman reported at 9:50 a.m. on Sept. 30 she had been assaulted at a club on Kathy Run Lane. She said she was attacked by a woman who was with a group of other women at 2:30 a.m. inside the club, but did not call police until hours later when her mother noticed that she had cuts on her head and a swollen left eye.
* A 27-year-old resident of East 16th Avenue said she was assaulted by her sister's boyfriend in the 800 block of East Dublin-Granville Road at 2:37 p.m. Sept. 29. She was referred to the prosecutor's office.
* A 24-year-old Le Marie Court man told police he was robbed at gunpoint by two men in the 1300 block of East Dublin-Granville Road at 5:24 a.m. Sept. 29. He said $300 in cash was taken from him, and that he would not only recognize the robbers but also would be willing to press charges if they were arrested.
* Two 17-year-old boys and a 24-year-old man said they were shot at while walking in the 1900 block of Belcher Drive at 10:45 p.m. Sept. 25. They filed the report on at 1:26 p.m. Sept. 26.
* The manager of a check-cashing operation on East Dublin-Granville Road reported at 12:22 p.m. Sept. 25 that a man used a false Social Security number to obtain a loan of $250 on March 29. He allegedly attempted to repay the loan and interest with a check for $277.91 on April 15, but the account had been closed, the manager said. She added that the man, who allegedly pulled a similar fraud in Florida, now owes $311.
* A 16-year-old boy reported at 10:33 p.m. Sept. 24 he had been threatened several hours earlier in a fast-food restaurant at East Dublin-Granville Road and Maple Canyon Avenue. "The victim stated he exchanged words with the suspect, then the suspect lifted up his shirt and showed a gun and said, 'I'm not going to fight you I'll just shoot you,' " the report stated.
* A 16-year-old girl said a man followed her from her home to a bus stop on Colonel Perry Drive at 6 a.m. Sept. 21. The girl filed the report at 5:07 p.m. Sept. 24.