Helper learns no good deed goes unpunished
A would-be Good Samaritan from Pickerington wound up getting slapped in the face when he attempted to stop an assault on Karl Road 1:26 p.m. Nov. 24.
According to Columbus police, the 43-year-old man said he saw two people assaulting a third person, and when he attempted to intervene and get the license plate number of the vehicle one of the assailants was driving, one of them struck him in the face with an open palm.
A search of the area failed to turn up either the vehicle or the original victim of the attack, police said.
In other police news:
* A 67-year-old Bayfield Drive resident reported at 8:09 p.m. Nov. 25 someone had fired a gun at his residence about 40 minutes earlier. Damage to the siding was estimated at $200.
* Valley Forge School on Urban Drive was broken into Nov. 25, according to a report filed at 3:29 p.m. The burglary, which was discovered half an hour earlier, resulted in $500 in damage to a window.
* A 23-year-old Fairglade Lane man reported he was choked, had his shirt torn and was shoved into his vehicle in the parking lot of an East Dublin-Granville Road topless bar at 2:30 a.m. Nov. 24.
* Officers responding to a report of shots fired near the intersection of Karl and Norma roads were unable to find any victims at 10:45 p.m. Nov. 23, but later reports indicated a bullet entered one apartment on Mockingbird Court North and continued on into another. Damage to a dresser was estimated at $300. Shell casings were recovered from a parking lot, police said.
* A Worthington woman, 20, and an 18-year-old woman from Amanda were arrested on charges of trespassing and resisting arrest at 12:35 a.m. Nov. 23 in the 1200 block of East Dublin-Granville Road.
* A 54-year-old resident of an Arborwood Drive apartment was sprayed in the face with chemical mace at 10:35 a.mon Nov. 22 after giving shelter to an individual who had gotten into a dispute with the assailant, according to police.
* A 28-year-old homeless woman reported she was assaulted and robbed of her cell phone at 10:30 a.m. Nov. 22 by an acquaintance who had put her up in a motel room on Mediterranean Avenue but then accused her of stealing his crystal meth. At one point, according to the woman, the man "picked up his own child and stated, 'I swear on my baby's life that you are going to come up missing.' "He left after grabbing the cell phone.
* Assorted tools and equipment valued at $8,378 were reported stolen from a construction site on Sinclair Road at 9:52 a.m. Nov. 20. The crime, which was caught on videotape, took place the previous evening at 10:45 p.m., according to police reports.
* Two employees of a Cleveland Avenue business got into a fight in the parking lot over one of them not following directions at 5:58 p.m. on Nov. 19. The altercation led to one man slashing at the other with a box cutter, the other man said. He was not injured. The man wielding the tool said he struck the other to protect himself and that the box cutter did not have a blade.
* A 48-year-old woman reported she was sexually assaulted near Tamarack Boulevard and Penworth Drive at 2 p.m. Oct. 29. She filed the report at 3:30 p.m. Nov. 19.