A Hempwood Drive couple called Columbus police at 4:20 p.m. Aug. 8 to say they had been bilked out of $5,000 by someone posing as an agent with the Internal Revenue Service.
The victims, a 52-year-old man and a 45-year-old woman, said they received a call at 10 a.m. from someone claiming to be with the IRS, telling them they owed back taxes.
According to the police report, the man was told he would be arrested if he did not immediately wire the money to the caller.
In other Northland-area police reports:
* A 24-year-old Westerville man said he was assaulted in the 2400 block of East Dublin-Granville Road at 3:35 p.m. Aug. 10. He said his attacker grabbed his shirt and scratched his neck.
* A Gracewood Court woman, 22, said $150 worth of food was stolen during a burglary at her home between midnight and 3:54 p.m. Aug. 10.
* A Chesford Road man contacted police at 10:20 a.m. Aug. 7 to report he had been robbed in the 1600 block of Karl Court at 12:20 a.m. July 31.
The 28-year-old man said he was given a ride by three people when one of them ordered him out of the vehicle and demanded his wallet. The $30 wallet, which was on a chain, contained $100 in cash.
The man said he was also robbed of a $50 Harley-Davidson insignia.
* A Satinwood Drive resident said one of six shots fired near his home at 11 a.m. Aug. 7 struck his residence.
The bullet penetrated the exterior wall, two inside walls, a piece of furniture and the front window, the report stated. One of the rounds also struck a nearby residence that is unoccupied, police said.
* Five boys between the ages of 13 and 15 vandalized the pool area of a Sinclair Road motel at 6:05 p.m. Aug. 10. The manager said they tore down a metal railing and threw towels around before running off in the direction of Morse Road.
* An 28-year-old Ironwood Court man said his roommate punched the windshield of his car at 4:05 p.m. Aug. 7, causing $300 in damage. The incident stemmed from an argument regarding rent, the police report said.
* An officer checking on the vacant Red Carpet Inn, 1289 E. Dublin-Granville Road, at 6 a.m. Aug. 7 found that three of the rooms had been broken into and copper piping stolen.
* Appliances valued at $1,336 were reported stolen at 3:03 p.m. Aug. 6 from an address on Covington Road. The washer, dryer, refrigerator and dishwasher were removed from the apartment sometime after 4 p.m. Aug. 1.
* A 71-year-old Parkville Street man called police at 4:30 p.m. Aug. 8 to say that earlier in the day, he discovered his son had used his name trying to open an account with a cellphone company.
* A Shawbury Court West home was broken into between 9 a.m. and 4:15 p.m. Aug. 6. The victim said a $1,500 television set and gaming system worth $410 had been removed.
* Two laptop computers, one valued at $600 and the other $400, were stolen, along with $2.50 worth of chili peppers, from a Beechcroft Road apartment in a burglary reported at 11:22 a.m. Aug. 6. The victim said the break-in happened between 9:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Aug. 5.