of Delaware County
For more information about Preservation Parks, visit www. preservationparks.com or call (740) 524-8600.
• Summer Camps: Register now for four- and one-day camps. Nine camps are offered for children and teens (ages 4-15). Camps vary by subject and age group. Visit www.preservationparks.com for a camp guide and registration form, or call (740) 524-8600, ext. 3.
• Parents and their young children can participate in the new Baby Steps Marathon! This weekly walking program takes place at 9:30 a.m. every Friday in selected Preservation Parks' preserves and other parks in Delaware County. Walks last about one hour; babies in strollers are welcome, but off-trail strollers are necessary since many of the trails are mulch or gravel.
For a complete schedule, visit www.preservationparks.com and click on Programs, or call (740) 524-8600, ext. 6.
• "Delaware County Model Railroaders Open House," noon to 4 p.m., Sunday, June 26. See model train displays and learn about how railroading became established in America. The Trail House at Big Walnut Community Trail, 168 S. Vernon St., Sunbury.
• Hound Hike, 4 p.m., Sunday, June 26. Bring your socialized canine on a walk along a nature trail. Blues Creek Preserve, 9627 Fontanelle Road.
• "Hummingbird Highlights," noon to 5 p.m., Saturday, July 2. Stop by to watch the hummingbirds sip nectar from our many feeders. View the nature history display, make a take-home hummingbird craft and pick up information about hummingbird gardening. Deer Haven Preserve, 4183 Liberty Road.
• "Going Buggy," noon to 5 p.m., Sunday, July 3. Drop in to see the bugs of summer. Borrow a net and look for insects around the nature center, see insects on display and make a bug craft to take home. Deer Haven Preserve, 4183 Liberty Road.
Preservation Parks of Delaware County will kick off the 2011 "Thursday Evening Concerts in the Park" season on July 7.
The six-concert series will be held on consecutive Thursday evenings through Aug. 11. All concerts will run from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at Gallant Woods Preserve, 2151 Buttermilk Hill Road. Admission and parking are free, although donations are welcome. Attendees may bring blankets, lawn chairs and refreshments. Alcoholic beverages are not permitted in the park.
Performers will be: July 7, "Z-Sharp Big Band," 1940s-style big band; July 14, "Marquis 66," 1950s, '60s and '70s classic rock; July 21, "Slick Andrews & the 3-C Drifters" - country and rockabilly; July 28, "Lone Raven," Celtic and world music; Aug. 4, "Zen Band," Motown and blues; Aug. 11, "Moonbats," British classic rock.
The 2011 series is sponsored by Consolidated Electric Cooperative Inc., Henderson Trucking, Price Farms Organics, Service Supply Ltd. Inc., and Willow Brook Village.
For more information, call (740) 524-8600.