A Powell woman who hired a contractor to finish the basement of her home in the 200 block of Bluff Ridge Court said she was the victim of a scam.
She told Powell police the contractor "disappeared" between Jan. 3 and Jan. 31 after finishing a small portion of the work he was hired to do. He also damaged some crystal home decor while at the residence, according to reports.
She said she provided a down payment of $4,300 to the contractor for the job, but has not been able to reach him since January.
The woman said she has lost close to $5,000, and stated it would cost another $5,000 to repair the damage done.
She told police she filed a lawsuit, and the Delaware County Sheriff's Office is investigating.
In other reports from the Powell police department:
* A diamond wedding ring worth $6,800 was stolen between March 31 and May 12 from a residence in the 100 block of Timber Oak Drive in Powell, police said.
* A woman residing in the 100 block of East Case Avenue reported a case of identity theft after she discovered an unknown person had obtained her personal information between May 7-12.
* A burglary was reported to have taken place between 10 a.m. and 8:20 p.m. April 22 at a residence in the 10300 block of Liberty Road in Powell, according to Delaware County Sheriff's reports.
The thief forced entry, with damages to a door estimated at $200, and stole undisclosed property.
* Jewelry worth $8,990 was stolen between 7:05 and 8:46 p.m. April 22 from a business in the 6400 block of Columbus Pike in Lewis Center, the sheriff's office said.
The thief stole two diamond rings, according to reports.
* A man residing in the 2100 block of Ben Brush Place in Lewis Center reported someone used his personal information to withdraw money from his bank account between 3:33 p.m. April 17 and 10 a.m. April 19.