For more information about Preservation Parks of Delaware County or to register for a program, call 740-524-8600, ext. 3, or email email@example.com. The offices of Preservation Parks are at 2656 Hogback Road in Sunbury.
The Preservation Parks Fall Program Guide, with information on programs and events from September through November, is available. Click the News & Publications tab on the Preservation Parks website, preservationparks.com. It also will be mailed and emailed to those on the park district's distribution lists. Hard copies can be found in all Preservation Parks preserves, and at Delaware County libraries, chambers of commerce, the Delaware County Visitors Bureau and other county locations.
Youths ages 16 and under can register for two "Fishing Fun" programs in September. Participants will learn fishing basics and have the opportunity to catch some fish. The program is free and equipment is provided. Program dates and locations are: 6 p.m. Friday, Sept. 13, at Hogback Ridge Preserve, 2656 Hogback Road; and 9 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 21, at Blues Creek Preserve, 9627 Fontanelle Road. Registration is required one week in advance.
Register in advance for these programs:
* Build an Insect Hotel, 2 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 15. Ages 7 and up, accompanied by an adult. Construct a box frame with natural materials to provide winter homes for solitary bees, lacewings and beetles. Deer Haven Preserve, 4183 Liberty Road. The deadline to register is Sept. 8. A $10 fee will be charged for materials.
* Preschool Parks Pals: Insect Adventures, 10 a.m. and 1 p.m., Thursday, Sept. 19. We'll take a short hike, weather permitting, to learn about the buggy world. Deer Haven Preserve 4183 Liberty Road. The deadline to register is Thursday, Sept. 12.
No registration is needed for these activities:
* In Search of Mantids, 3 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 31. Age 7 and up. Search the fields for the curious-looking praying mantis. All ages. Blues Creek Preserve, 9627 Fontanelle Road.
* "Honey-Do List," 2 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 7. Age 7 and up. Learn about the lives of honey bees, the history of beekeeping and taste organic honey straight from the hive. Gallant Farm Preserve, 2150 Buttermilk Hill Road.
* "Web-Spinning Wonders," 5 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 8. Age 8 and up. Discover the many spiders living in the meadows and woods while learning amazing spider facts. Gallant Woods Preserve, 2151 Buttermilk Hill Road.