No one was injured when a furniture and home-decor business caught fire last week just west of downtown Powell.

No one was injured when a furniture and home-decor business caught fire last week just west of downtown Powell.

Lt. Tom Saunders said the Liberty Township Fire Department responded about 7:19 p.m. Friday, June 27, to a report of a fire at the Collection, 41 Depot St. The fire broke during the annual Powell Festival, which was taking place less than a half-mile away at Village Green Park on Hall Street. Saunders said the fire was largely contained by 7:47 p.m. with assistance from firefighters from Worthington and Orange and Washington townships. He said no one was in the business at the time of the fire and no one was injured in the incident.

The cause of the fire is under investigation, and Saunders said he could not say when a possible cause would be announced by the department.

Saunders estimated the total damage to the building and inventory at $700,000 to $800,000, noting the estimate could be low. Powell police also assisted at the scene of the fire, but department officials said Monday, June 30, that there was no ongoing criminal investigation into the blaze.

The Collection's owners announced Sunday, June 29, on the business' Facebook page that they hoped to reopen the store as soon as possible.

"A setback.....yes, heartbreaking...yes, but tomorrow is a new day! We will regroup and get the doors open to all of our loyal customers as soon as possible!!" the post read.

According to the business, the fire broke out in a back room.


Previous story

Firefighters from Liberty, Orange and Washington townships and the city of Worthington worked together to battle a fire in Powell on Friday night, June 27.

A fire at The Collection, an antiques store at 41 Depot St., was reported about 7:30 p.m., according to Liberty Township Fire Lt. Ben Lovell. He said the fire was under control within about 20 minutes.

Lovell said June 27 that he couldn't comment on what caused the fire, saying "it's under investigation."

The Powell Festival was going on at the time, and medics were in the area already, he said. They were the first to arrive on the scene but were unable to do much until ladder trucks arrived. Powell police also assisted.

Nobody was in the building at the time, Lovell said.

Powell police on Monday said nobody was hurt and the fire no longer is under investigation.

-Scott Hummell

Check back with for updates.