Police this week charged a man with eight felonies related to recent arsons and vandalism at Pickerington High School Central.

Police this week charged a man with eight felonies related to recent arsons and vandalism at Pickerington High School Central.

Christopher D. Hoar, 18, of Pickerington, was charged on Monday with arson, four counts of breaking and entering, two counts of possession of criminal tools and one count of vandalism for his alleged role in the Feb. 16 fire that destroyed two school transportation vans and other vandalism at Central.

As of press time on Tuesday, Pickerington police said a 17-year-old Central student also could be charged in connection with the destruction of the two vans, vandalism of Central outbuildings and graffiti to the exterior of the school.

Hoar, identified by Pickerington Local School District officials as a former student who dropped out prior to this year, was slated for arraignment Tuesday in Fairfield County Common Pleas Court. Following his arrest, he was placed in the Fairfield County jail. His bail was set at $75,000.

Pickerington Police Det. Rob Bartek said a woman who reported the fire on Feb. 16 helped lead them to Hoar. Subsequent reports and interviews of Hoar and a 17-year-old suspect led police to believe they found the culprits.

"Ultimately, it was the caller that called the fire in that led us to them," Bartek said. "After speaking with her and a couple other individuals, that led us to Mr. Hoar.

"These two individuals that did this basically told us about the other (suspected) person. Mr. Hoar told us about the juvenile and the juvenile told us about Mr. Hoar," he said.

The unidentified juvenile suspected of involvement in the Feb. 16 incident is facing possible expulsion, according to Lee Cole, director of communications for PLSD.

The arrest capped an anxious week for PLSD staff and students. In addition to the arson and vandalism, Central received several bomb threats last week and four students were sent home after a note found at the school said they would be killed on Feb. 19.

In the wake of the incidents, school officials sent a letter to parents stating the district "will not tolerate this type of behavior in any way." The letter also said the district would increase supervision in school hallways, staff members would increase their presence in restrooms and hall pass usage would be "carefully documented and limited."

nellis@thisweeknews.com