Harmon Middle School students received a three-day weekend this week after a broken water main forced the cancellation of classes on Friday, Jan. 29.

Harmon Middle School students received a three-day weekend this week after a broken water main forced the cancellation of classes on Friday, Jan. 29.

According to Harmon principal Gary Morrow, a water main break discovered Thursday afternoon, Jan. 28, was repaired by approximately noon Friday.

However, Pickerington Local School District officials were forced to cancel classes today (Friday) because water had to be shut off to the school, 12410 Harmon Road.

"School was in session yesterday (Thursday, Jan. 28)," Morrow said. "When the kids left at 3 p.m. we shut the water off to the building.

"The problem was corrected (on Friday). However, we are on a boil alert for 24 hours."

Morrow said he expects classes to resume on Monday, Feb. 1. In the event the school remains under a boil alert, he said, bathroom facilities would be operational and bottled water could be provided to students and staff.

"This is the first time this has happened since Harmon opened 10 years ago," he said.

Although a portion of Harmon Road was under water and closed during repairs, there was no water damage to the school, Morrow said. He added that the Pickerington Youth Athletic Association was expected to maintain its schedule of events at the school over the weekend.

Morrow didn't know the costs associated with the repairs and Lee Cole, communications director for the PLSD, said the information wasn't available on Friday.

Don Sherman, deputy director of the Fairfield County Utilities Department, said workers from his office were on-site Friday to assist the district with the repairs. He said the main broke because of the failure of bolts and a valve.

"The bolts were corroded that held the top of the valve," Sherman said. "Unfortunately, it's a non-standard gasket so they had to wait until today (Friday) to repair it."

Sherman said the Violet Township Fire Department was on guard at the school throughout Thursday night because the building's fire-prevention system was inoperable.