1886: This Olde Pickerington Village home at 5 W. Columbus St. was built for J. Clark Edwards in 1886.
Since that time, it has had an interesting history of owners.
After attorney C.O. Beals acquired the home in 1901, he topped the stone wall seen in this circa 1950 photo with concrete globes. The globes were cast from the glass globes that were part of Pickerington's kerosene street lamps until 1908 when they were replaced by gas lights.
Henry and Violet Huntwork purchased the home in 1948. Henry was employed by the Fairfield County Engineer's Office. He also helped his brother, Roy, run the gas station across the street and served as a volunteer fireman. Many of Violet Huntwork's 40 years in the Pickerington school system were spent teaching third-graders. The Huntworks and friends enjoyed many good times in this home with nickel poker games in the back room.
Upon Henry's death in 1971, the property was sold to Paul McPeek who operated a barber shop next door.
During the latter part of the 1900s, the building was home to a variety of businesses including Don McAuliffe's law office, Susie's Dance Studio, Bearly Worn Consignment Shop, a hairdresser, a craft store, and Tae Kwon Do.
Now: This 100-plus-year-old home was purchased by Janet Saxton Reale in the year 2000. Reale's studio, Music Movement and Me, currently is located in the rear of the building. She rents the front portion of the residence to retail endeavors.
See this historic building and the concrete globes decorating its wall on your way to the Pickerington-Violet Township Historical Society Museum at 15 E. Columbus St.
At the museum, you will find many photos, stories and relics of our community's past.
Admission to the museum is free every Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
For more information about the historical society or museum, go online to www.pickeringtonhistoricalsociety.com.
Contributions and questions about "Then and Now" stories can be sent via email to the series' creator, Maggie Arendt, at email@example.com.