Then and now: Local oil boom
This oil well on the Andrew Stemen Farm on the north side of Wright Road at the intersection of Schoolhouse Road was the first drilled in Violet Township. It was drilled in 1919. Buy This Photo
1919: Violet Township's first oil well was drilled in 1919 on the Andrew Stemen Farm which was located on the north side of Wright Road at the intersection of Schoolhouse Road.
According to Ohio Department of Natural Resources records, it took nearly a year for this well to be drilled to a depth of 3,245 feet where both oil and gas were discovered.
In 1920, the price per barrel of oil was $3.01 -- a bit less than today's market price hovering around $95 per barrel.
Two additional oil wells were drilled in Violet Township during 1920.
Only one -- on the Ulysses and Emma Fancher property -- was successful.
Between 1919 and 2012 nearly three dozen oil wells were drilled in Violet Township. Less than 25 percent of them ever produced any oil or gas.
NOW: One of the most successful producing oil wells was drilled in the 1980s on land owned by the Trinity United Methodist Church on state Route 204.
The well still produces both oil and gas.
Although there are no producing oil wells in historic downtown Pickerington, families can explore our community's past at the Pickerington-Violet Township Historical Society Museum, 15 E. Columbus St. in Olde Pickerington Village.
The Historical Society Museum will offer free admission and a Christmas story time for children during Olde Village Holiday which will be held from 5 to 8:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 7 throughout the Olde Village.
The museum also holds free open houses on Saturdays from 10 a.m. through 3 p.m. through Dec. 15.
Although the museum closes for the winter months, historical and membership information always can be found on its website: www.pickeringtonhistoricalsociety.com.
Contributions and questions about Then and Now stories can be sent via email to the series' creator, Maggie Arendt, at email@example.com.