Pickerington Times-Sun

Then and Now: Eura L. Tussing

Thursday January 24, 2013 6:29 PM

1871-1953: Noted composer Eura L. Tussing was deeply involved in the musical part of the Pickerington-Violet Township community for most of the first half of the 20th century.

He wrote many church anthems.

The most noted was The Star of Bethlehem which was sung by Pickerington's Methodist Church choir under his direction on Christmas Eve 1922.

Tussing was the director of the 35-member Pickerington Male Chorus, popular between 1900-1910.

He also served as a music teacher in the Pickerington school system, was a member of the International Order of Odd Fellows Band and worked as a piano tuner.

His fine baritone voice made him in great demand as a soloist at various social and civic functions. He married Dora Tussing in 1899.

She passed away seven years later in 1906.

NOW: After Dora died, widower Eura Tussing lived the rest of his life with his sister and brother-in-law, Bertie and George Motts, in this Pickerington home at 75 E. Borland St.

There he grew roses, loved his orchard and was constantly experimenting with budding and grafting new varieties. Eura L. Tussing died in 1953.

Eura and Dora Tussing are buried together in Violet Cemetery, located in Olde Pickerington Village.

To find more information about people and places from our community's past, visit the Pickerington-Violet Township Historical Society's website at www.pickeringtonhistoricalsociety. com.

The Historical Society Museum at 15 E. Columbus St. is closed during the winter months, but will reopen in April.

Contributions and questions about Then and Now stories can be sent via email to the series' creator, Maggie Arendt, at pickhistsociety@hotmail.com.

Comments