Reynoldsburg development director Lucas Haire looks back on 2010 as being a busy year for development -- better than 2009, at least.

Reynoldsburg development director Lucas Haire looks back on 2010 as being a busy year for development -- better than 2009, at least.

Hair said he thinks that means the economy is turning a corner. He said Reynoldsburg saw 38 new businesses in 2010, compared to 24 in 2009. He said those 38 occupied 150,000 square feet of space, totaling $4.8-million in either new construction or remodeling.

Haire said those kinds of figures are important to the city, saying that by investing that much money, they demonstrate a commitment to stay in Reynoldsburg.

Of the 2.5-million total square feet of retail space citywide, 91.5 percent is occupied, leaving only 8.5 percent vacant, compared to 12.5 percent in 2009, he said.

Haire said one highlight for 2010 was the Valu King grocery store opening on East Livingston Avenue, where the former Big Bear grocery store was.

He said one main focus in 2011 would be the development of a strategic plan for the old Reynoldsburg area, expected to be introduced sometime in January or February. Haire said as the city continues to grow, the old Reynoldsburg area again has become the geographic center of the city but is underutilized.

The focus of the old Reynoldsburg strategic plan will be to create a vision for what old Reynoldsburg could and should be in the future, he said.