Police file charges after finding child alone in car
Reynoldsburg police charged a woman with child endangering, theft and possession of criminal tools after she allegedly left her 7-year-old daughter alone in an unheated car for an hour and 45 minutes.
Police said they arrested the woman Nov. 30 at a business in the 2000 block of Baltimore-Reynoldsburg Road. The manager of the business told officers the woman took clothing into a dressing room, burned and cut the security tags off, concealed the clothes under a hoodie jacket, then attempted to leave the business.
The arresting officer said the manager had tipped off police to what the woman was doing in the dressing room, so they were able to arrest her as soon as she left the store. They then discovered the woman had left her daughter in the car with no heat in 45-degree weather, according to reports.
The officer said the total value of the items is about $145.
In other police news:
* Several car break-ins were reported between 5:15 and 9 p.m. Dec. 3 at businesses in the 2000 block of Baltimore-Reynoldsburg Road and the 2300 block of Taylor Square Drive. The rear passenger window was broken on a 2005 Mazda and a briefcase with office supplies was stolen at the Baltimore-Reynoldsburg location.
At the Taylor Square Drive location, the driver's-side window of a Honda Accord was broken and a nylon bag containing makeup was taken. The passenger side window of a 2001 Cadillac also was smashed. The driver of the Cadillac said nothing was missing from the vehicle.
* Two more thefts from automobiles were reported Dec. 3. Police said the passenger-side window of a 2009 Nissan Maxima was broken between 1 and 1:30 p.m. while the vehicle was parked at a business in the 1900 block of Brice Road. A black fanny pack with identification cards and various papers was stolen.
The second theft occurred between 9 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Dec. 3 when a skateboard and radio were taken from an unlocked 1998 Jeep Wrangler while it was parked at a business in the 8300 block of East Broad Street.
* A television and video-game console were stolen between 5:45 and 6:33 p.m. Dec. 3 from a residence in the 500 block of Postwoods Drive. Entry was gained through the back door, police reported.
* Police reported someone threw a rock and smashed the front door of a business before 7:50 a.m. Dec. 3 in the 1200 block of Brice Road. The manager of a business next door told police she discovered the break-in when she arrived at work. Police said nothing seemed disarranged or missing.
* A woman was arrested for shoplifting at 11:34 p.m. Dec. 3 at a business in the 1200 block of Brice Road. The store security manager said he saw the woman removing labels from items and concealing items in her purse and in existing bags in her shopping cart. The items were a tool set, women's clothing and dog food, with a total value of $156.50.