Man cleaning gun accidentally shoots himself in the leg
A Reynoldsburg man accidentally shot himself in the leg while cleaning his .357 revolver Feb. 21, police reported.
Police said they were called to a home in the 6600 block of Glacier Avenue, where they found the man on a stretcher, with medics getting ready to take him to Grant Medical Center.
Officers spoke to a woman who lives with the man and she said they were sitting on the couch when the gun went off and the man said, "Oh, I just shot myself" and "went into a panic and was bleeding everywhere."
She told police they had not been fighting, that no one had been drinking and there were no thoughts of suicide or other issues.
In other recent Reynoldsburg Police Department incident reports:
* A fight in a restroom at a local restaurant led to the arrest of a man who was wanted by Columbus police for aggravated menacing, disorderly conduct and assault.
Officers answered a complaint Feb. 16 about a fight in the men's restroom at a business in the 2100 block of Brice Road. The reporting officer said one of the men involved in the fight refused to obey commands to leave the business or he would be arrested.
The officer said the man's speech was slurred and "he had an extreme odor of an alcoholic beverage" upon his breath and his eyes were red and watery.
After the man refused to leave, officers handcuffed him, charged him with criminal trespassing and walked him to a cruiser. According to the police report, he told officers he was arrested because he was black and that, this was not his "first rodeo."
Officers then learned that five warrants for the man had been issued by Columbus police. Officers from that department took custody of the man.
* Police charged a woman with theft for stealing a stereo system worth $500 Feb. 16 from a business in the 2700 block of Taylor Road Extension. Employees told the reporting officer that a woman loaded the stereo system into an orange Ford Mustang with graphics on the side.
After officers found and stopped the vehicle, the woman admitted to taking the stereo system because she needed rent money, police reports said. Employees of the business said they attempted to stop her before she left the store, but she fled.
She was transported to the Fairfield County jail due to two prior theft convictions.
* A manager at a hotel in the 2000 block of Brice Road reported being threatened by guests Feb. 15. The manager told police two customers in a non-smoking room were confronted by a hotel employee and told not to smoke.
The customers said someone on the night shift had informed them they could smoke inside the room. The customers left but said they would be back later that night to confront the manager and the night shift employee.
Police said they found marijuana in the room.
* Police reported the driver's side rear passenger window was shattered on a vehicle Feb. 15 while it was parked at a business in the 2600 block of Taylor Road.
The owner of the car said a backpack worth $70 was missing, along with Nike shoes worth $80 and gym clothes worth $45.
At 6:45 p.m. Feb. 15 at the same location, the passenger side rear window of another vehicle was broken and $1,200 worth of tools were stolen.
* Employees at a store in the 2700 block of Taylor Road Extension told police the same woman attempted to shoplift items Feb. 31, Feb. 20 and Jan. 29.
A loss prevention employee said the woman entered the store Feb. 21 and attempted to leave with 15 movies, games and CDs worth $364.40. An employee managed to stop her in the parking lot and snatch back the CDs, but the woman fled in a black Pontiac with the rest of the merchandise. The employee said on Jan. 29 and Feb. 20, the woman dropped items she was attempting to steal and fled.