Reynoldsburg News

Felony OVI charge filed after van hits house


A Reynoldsburg man with five prior OVI convictions was charged with felony OVI April 29 after the vehicle he was driving went off the road and crashed into a house on Rosehill Road.

Greg T. Patton, 51, of Carrousel Drive East, Reynoldsburg, also was charged with failure to control.

Officer Sean McGrew said Patton was traveling south on Rosehill when he lost control of his van, crossed two front yards and hit Diann Gallion's brick home at 1760 Rosehill Road.

Plywood and new posts are currently holding up Gallion's front porch after the van crashed into the house last week, leaving a huge hole and a pile of bricks next to the garage door.

Gallion called police at 8:40 p.m. April 29, after the van plowed into her home.

She told officer Tamara Jackson that she had been sitting inside with her dog about 8:30 p.m. when she heard a loud noise and thought a tree had fallen onto her house.

When McGrew arrived at the scene, he said, the van had crashed into the front of the Gallion home beside the garage door and Patton "had glassy, bloodshot eyes."

"He was slurring his words and I could detect a strong odor of alcoholic beverage emanating from his breath and person," McGrew said. "I asked Patton how he ended up in the yard and the side of the house. He said he did not know."

McGrew said Patton's blood alcohol tested at .280 after the crash. He said Patton suffered a minor injury to his shoulder from the crash.

"Patton had five prior OVI (operating under the influence) convictions in the past 20 years, in Cambridge, Perry County and Franklin County," he said.

Patton's driver's license was suspended and he was transported to the Franklin County jail.

Jackson said Patton's van traveled through two yards prior to hitting Gallion's house.

"It could not be determined if Diann's residence was safe for her to stay in, so the Red Cross was called in to assist with temporary housing for her," Jackson said. "I had Patton's vehicle towed from the driveway. There was extensive front-end damage and both air bags were deployed."