Reynoldsburg News

Police beat

Security alarm scares away would-be robbers

Wednesday December 18, 2013 10:20 AM

Two armed men kicked in a door and attempted to rob a local apartment Dec. 11 in the 8700 block of Millpond Drive but fled after the terrified resident told them the noise they heard was a security alarm.

The resident told police she was home alone watching television when she heard a loud noise and heard her alarm going off at 6:53 p.m.

She said two black men ran into the room, both armed with handguns, and one yelled, "Get on the ground, I'm not going to rape you."

The woman said the other man asked her what the noise was and she told him it was her security alarm. She said the men looked at each other, then ran back down the stairs and out of the apartment.

Police reports said one man wore a dark blue hoodie with an Aeropostale logo.

The reporting officer said he found part of the front door frame broken off and lying on the floor. He said the burglary is still under investigation.

In other Reynoldsburg police reports:

• A woman wandered through a local retail store for five and a half hours, apparently forgetting she had brought her child with her and insisting she was allowed to take clothing for free through a Job and Family Services program.

Employees of the business in the 2700 block of Taylor Road Extension reported at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 10 that the woman had been wandering the aisles since 2 p.m. The manager said a child had been held for hours in the missing children area of the store and they suspected the woman was the child's mother.

The woman "appeared very distraught" and would "go from angry to crying, to mellow to anxious," the reporting officer wrote in the report.

She was not charged, but was transported to Mount Carmel East Hospital and her daughter was taken to a family member's house, police said.

The woman told hospital personnel that she had taken cough syrup sometime before she went shopping that day.

• Thieves broke into an urgent care facility by shattering glass in the front door at 4:56 a.m. Dec. 12 in the 1600 block of Brice Road.

The reporting officer said an employee arrived at the facility at 8:06 a.m. and noticed the shattered glass. She said two laptop computers were missing from the records area, but that nothing else appeared to be missing or disturbed, including cabinets containing drugs.

The employee said she called a doctor to see if the alarm had sounded and was advised that it had gone off at 4:56 a.m., but the doctor had told the alarm company not to notify police because he thought it was a false alarm.

• Reynoldsburg police joined in the chase for a shoplifter who tried to run away with a chainsaw at 1:30 p.m. Dec. 7 from a business in the 7900 block of East Main Street.

The reporting officer said he and another officer found the suspect running in the neighborhood behind the business, down Oak Valley Drive, then east toward Glen Rest Cemetery.

The officer said three employees of the business told him the man had dropped the stolen chainsaw on the ground and that they had recovered it.

The second officer cornered the suspect and managed to handcuff him. The man told police he is a heroin addict and that the person he was with said he would pay him $300 for the chainsaw. Police charged him with theft, then transported him to Franklin County Jail because he failed to produce bond.

• Police reported someone broke into two businesses located next to each other before 9:40 a.m. Dec. 8 in the 1700 block of Brice Road. The reporting officer said the glass in the front door of the first business appeared to have been broken out by a concrete ashtray. The manager of that business said $70 was taken from an open cash box. The manager of the second business said nothing was missing from that location.

• Another burglary occurred two days later, between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. Dec. 10 at a home in the 1500 block of Ives Road. The reporting officer said there were no signs of forced entry.

According to police reports, the homeowner said the door might have been left unlocked. Items missing were worth about $1,457, according to the homeowner.