A suspected gas leak at Reynoldsburg High School’s Summit Road campus caused an evacuation of the building early this morning.
Tricia Moore, district communications director, said a custodian noticed the odor at around 7:20 a.m. at the Summit Road high school.
“Administrators called the fire department and started evacuating the kids from the high school to the elementary school shortly before 7:30 a.m.,” she said.
Truro Township Fire Department personnel checked out the entire building and discovered the odor was isolated to the science laboratory at eSTEM Academy, possibly from a Bunsen burner.
Moore said Columbia Gas personnel arrived and fixed the leak.
“They thoroughly inspected the entire building to check for further leaks,” she said.
She said students were brought back to sections B and C of the building at around 9 a.m.
“We kept students out of section A until a thorough inspection of that area was finished; the kids stayed in the Performing Arts Center,” she said.
Before the students could go back to section A, however, the electric power went out on the entire campus, Moore said.
“We have backup generators, so students stayed in their classrooms and the power was out about an hour or less,” she said.
Moore said AEP workers came out to check the buildings, but found that electric power was down all along Summit Road to Broad Street for that hour.
Classes were disrupted this morning, but the school’s safety plan was effective, Moore said.
“The evacuation seemed to go smoothly because the high school students were evacuated before the elementary kids started arriving,” she said.