Football Week 2 Recap

Solon 34, Worthington Kilbourne 0

Comets overwhelm Wolves to extend winning streak


The Worthington Kilbourne High School football team was held without a first down and to negative yardage in the first half against Solon on Friday, Sept. 2 - and the score reflected it.

Solon outgained Kilbourne 220 yards to minus-2 in the first two quarters and scored on five of six first-half possessions, building a 27-0 lead en route to a 34-0 victory in the second meeting between the schools. Solon won 42-13 last season at home.

The Wolves also had six first-half possessions. Five ended in punts and on the sixth, Kilbourne elected to let the clock expire and go to halftime.

Kilbourne didn't get its initial first down until its first possession of the second half and managed only four while falling to 1-1.

The Wolves' offense finished with 57 yards while Solon gained 367. Kilbourne had 72 yards rushing on 34 attempts, and the Comets had 180 on 37 carries.

"We just got beat by a better team tonight," Wolves coach Vince Trombetti said. "We told the kids there is no shame in getting beat by a better team. There is total humiliation in laying down while it's going on.

"I was proud of our kids. They didn't lay down. They did not quit."

Kilbourne quarterback Brian Miller said Solon's defense didn't do anything different from what the Wolves watched on film.

"It all comes down to we just weren't ready and weren't prepared and we played scared," said Miller, who completed three of eight passes for 23 yards and rushed for 33 yards on nine carries.

Solon extended its regular-season winning streak to 22 games.

The Comets didn't miss a beat without Khoury Crenshaw, who sat out with a concussion after scoring on runs of 40, 66 and 2 yards in a 34-13 win over Shaker Heights in the opener Aug. 27.

George Berry had an 11-yard touchdown run to give Solon a 7-0 lead with 8 minutes, 3 seconds left in the first quarter and Alex Knight kicked a 22-yard field goal to make it 10-0 with 1:59 to play in the first.

In the second quarter, wide receiver Drew Barksdale lined up at quarterback and ran 50 yards for a touchdown to make it 17-0 at the 8:14 mark. Knight kicked a 42-yard field goal with 4:24 remaining and Patrick Kramer threw an 11-yard scoring pass to C.J. Hanna with 38 seconds to go until halftime.

On the Comets' first snap of the second half, Kramer connected with Tres Barksdale on a 55-yard pass, setting up Nick Davidson's 3-yard TD run on the next play to make it 34-0.

Solon turned back Kilbourne's only scoring threat, stuffing Matt Poe from the 1-yard line on fourth down with 4:07 remaining.


SOLON 10 17 7 0 -- 34

KILBOURNE 0 0 0 0 -- 0

S--Berry 11 run (Knight kick)

S--Knight 22 FG

S--D. Barksdale 50 run (Knight kick)

S--Knight 42 FG

S--Hanna 11 pass from Kramer (Knight kick)

S--Davidson 3 run (Knight kick)