St. Charles 20, Beechcroft 18

Colosimo’s field goal sends Cardinals past Cougars


As he paced the sideline in the final minutes of the fourth quarter, all St. Charles kicker John Colosimo wanted was another chance.

Colosimo missed two field-goal attempts from 46 yards, including one with 3 minutes, 31 seconds left in the game. He got his chance at redemption and kicked a 46-yard field goal with 35.5 seconds remaining to give the Cardinals a 20-18 victory over Beechcroft in a nonconference high school football game on Sept. 6.

“I just wanted to keep my composure and thought that it was a 0-0 game,” Colosimo said. “I’ve done pressure kicks at college camps during the summer. I knew it was in after I kicked it. I could just feel it. This was a great team win. It wasn’t just me. I knew the defense would get the ball back for us.”

The Cardinals (2-1) got a three-and-out and got the ball back at their 36-yard line with 1:09 remaining.

Tailback Sean Fitzmartin ran for 19 yards on the first play. A 15-yard unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty for a hit out of bounds took the ball to Beechcroft’s 30.

Four plays later, Colosimo kicked the ball down the middle.

“I’m glad for John,” St. Charles coach Jeff Pharion said. “He really needed to make that kick (for his confidence).”

This was the final game of a 10-year contract between the schools. Each team won five games, but the Cardinals won three of the last four. The last four games were decided by 10 points or fewer.

Beechcroft coach Bruce Ward was furious that his team was penalized seven times and made four turnovers.

“We didn’t play very well all night long,” Ward said. “We had mistakes from the opening kickoff. You can’t play that way and expect to win games.”

St. Charles’ physical, blitzing defense had a lot to do with Beechcroft’s being out of rhythm.

Senior linebacker Jack France stopped one drive with an interception at his 20 in the first quarter and returned an interception 30 yards for a touchdown for a 10-0 lead with 43.8 seconds left in the first half.

“We worked so much during the week on preparing for this quarterback,” France said. “We knew they’d play backyard football. I made sure to watch the quarterback’s eyes and shoulders. The touchdown was just the spark we needed.”

Beechcroft quarterback Maurice Hale led an eight-play, 85-yard drive that gave the Cougars (1-1) an 18-17 lead with 7:08 remaining.

Hale hit Khaleed Franklin for a 60-yard completion and Darius Ford for a 15-yard completion on third-and-5, and ran 1 yard for a touchdown on another third down.