Westerville Central 29, Worthington Kilbourne 17

Warhawks top Wolves for Magistro’s 200th career win


The Westerville Central High School football team bounced back from its first loss of the season to defeat host Worthington Kilbourne 29-17 and give coach John Magistro his 200th career victory.

The game began Sept. 21 but was suspended with 5 minutes, 30 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter because of bad weather. The game was completed Sept. 22.

Magistro improved his career record to 200-93. He was 181-76 in 23 seasons at Bellaire and is 19-17 in three-plus seasons at Central.

“I wish this was win No. 5 (this season),” said Magistro, whose team improved to 4-1 overall and 1-1 in the OCC-Cardinal Division. “There’s so many players and coaches that I have to thank over the years. Someone told me once if you surround yourself with good people, good things happen. I try to practice that.”

Central, which lost to Dublin Scioto 34-14 on Sept. 14, again was led by junior quarterback/defensive back Jared Drake, who had a 67-yard touchdown run in the first quarter and sealed the win with a 40-yard interception return for a score with 1:06 remaining.

Drake rushed for 80 yards on 19 carries and completed six of 17 passes for 136 yards and a touchdown to Charlie Moushey, who caught seven passes for 81 yards.

Kilbourne’s Isaac Lumpkin rushed for 91 yards and a touchdown on 23 carries. Keaton Reinhart completed six of 17 passes for 126 yards with a touchdown and interception.

After Kilbourne’s Jon Watson kicked a 34-yard field goal to give his team its only lead at 3-0, Drake broke free for a 67-yard touchdown on the next play from scrimmage midway through the first quarter.

Drake then connected with Moushey for a 25-yard touchdown on a third-and-goal, giving the Warhawks a 14-3 lead.

Lumpkin’s 4-yard touchdown run pulled the Wolves (1-4, 0-2) within 14-10 with 9:22 left in the second quarter.

Central answered on its next possession, as Alex Fisher capped a 54-yard drive with a 20-yard touchdown run for a 22-10 halftime lead. Fisher rushed for 86 yards on 19 carries.

The Warhawks were unable to generate a consistent offense in the second half, and when Reinhart connected with Alex Rayis for a 19-yard touchdown, Kilbourne trailed just 22-17 when play was suspended.

But Drake’s interception return put the game out of reach for the Wolves.

We didn’t finish the game,” Kilbourne coach Vince Trombetti said. “When you’re in a fight like that, you’re both going to be throwing punches. … What we’re doing is when the punches are getting thrown we’re covering up and taking instead of countering with some haymakers of our own.”


Team 1
2 3 4 Final

WK -- Watson 34 FG
WC -- Drake 67 run (Robertson kick)
WC -- Moushey 25 pass from Drake (Robertson kick)
WK -- Lumpkin 4 run (Watson kick)
WC -- Fisher 20 run (Alexander pass from Ulliman)
WK -- Rayis 19 pass from Reinhart (Watson kick)
WC -- Drake 40 interception return (Robertson kick)