Unusual week has no impact on poll lineup
While week five was unusual as many Sept. 21 games were not completed until the following day, it was a pretty boring week as far as the Super 7 poll is concerned.
All seven teams won as the poll stayed intact, led by No. 1 Dublin Coffman. However, there was one item of particular interest as No. 5 Hilliard Darby moved within one vote of No. 4 Pickerington Central, a week after being seven votes back . The Tigers have had a couple close games since their bye week, beating Lancaster 14-10 and Reynoldsburg 21-20. Now comes one of their biggest games of the year as they will be host to No. 2 Pickerington North. The Panthers have lost all five meetings against Central since the teams started playing in 2008.
Another game of interest is No. 3 Westerville South playing at Dublin Scioto, which is 4-1 and is among those also receiving votes.
Below is the poll as selected by ThisWeekSPORTS.com writers.
A unanimous selection is 77 points.
1. DUBLIN COFFMAN (5-0), 74 points, eight first-place votes: Last game: Def. Marysville 49-10. Next game: Sept. 28 vs. Thomas Worthington. Last week: No. 1
2. PICKERINGTON NORTH (5-0), 68 points, three first-place votes: Last game: Defeated Lancaster 45-14. Next game: Sept. 28 at Pickerington Central. Last week: No. 2
3. WESTERVILLE SOUTH (5-0), 54 points. Last game: Def. Hilliard Bradley 28-16. Next game: Sept. 28 at Dublin Scioto. Last week: No. 3
4. PICKERINGTON CENTRAL (3-1), 36 points: Last game: Def. Reynoldsburg 21-10. Next game: Sept. 28 vs. Pickerington North. Last week: No. 4
5. HILLIARD DARBY (5-0), 35 points. Last game: Def. Dublin Jerome 20-7. Next game: Sept. 28 vs. Worthington Kilbourne. Last week: No. 5
6. HARTLEY (5-0), 16 points. Last game: Def. Fairland 56-6. Next game: Sept. 28 vs. Watterson. Last week: No. 6
7. GAHANNA (5-0), 14 points. Last game: Def. Newark 45-6. Next game: Sept. 28 at Reynoldsburg. Last week: No. 7
Also receiving votes: Olentangy, Dublin Scioto and Westerville Central
Dropped out: None