OCC-Cardinal Division showing strength
While all four OCC divisions are represented in the Super 7 poll, as well as the CCL, one division clearly seems above the others as we head to the homestretch of the regular season.
The OCC-Cardinal has three teams in the poll – No. 3 Hilliard Darby, No. 4 Dublin Scioto and No. 6 Westerville Central. And you can’t forget about Westerville South, which was ranked until suffering losses the last two weeks.
In years, past that usually was with the OCC-Central with Dublin Coffman, Hilliard Davidson, Darby and Upper Arlington. While Coffman still leads the poll, the Shamrocks are the division’s only ranked team, although Olentangy Liberty has garnered votes.
A shakeup in the poll could be in the offing as the OCC-Cardinal teams face big weeks as Scioto will play at Darby and Central will be host to South.
Below is the poll as selected by ThisWeekSPORTS.com writers. A unanimous selection is 77 points.
1. DUBLIN COFFMAN (7-0), 74 points, eight first-place votes: Last game: Defeated Central Crossing 53-6. Next game: Oct. 12 vs. Westland. Last week: No. 1
2. PICKERINGTON NORTH (7-0), 69 points, three first-place votes: Last game: Def. Reynoldsburg 49-27. Next game: Oct. 12 at Groveport. Last week: No. 2
3. HILLIARD DARBY (7-0), 54 points. Last game: Def. Westerville South 28-14. Next game: Oct.12 vs. Dublin Scioto. Last week: No. 4
4. DUBLIN SCIOTO (6-1), 43 points: Last game: Def. Dublin Jerome 42-23. Next game: Oct. 12 at Hilliard Darby. Last week: No. 6
5. HARTLEY (7-0), 32 points. Last game: Def. Fort Wayne (Ind.) Bishop Luers 40-7. Next game: Oct. 12 at Ironton. Last week: No. 5
6. WESTERVILLE CENTRAL (5-1), 21 points. Last game: Def. Westerville North 35-14. Next game: Oct. 12 vs. Westerville South. Last week: No. 7
7. NEW ALBANY (5-2), 14 points. Last game: Def. Olentangy 33-14. Next game: Oct. 12 vs. Big Walnut. Last week: No. 3
Also receiving votes: Olentangy Liberty
Dropped out: No. 3 Olentangy