Hartley moves up to No. 4
Although a Division IV school, Hartley has proved again and again that it deserves to be considered one of the big boys.
As one of five unbeaten teams in the ThisWeek coverage area, the Hawks have moved up to No. 4. In a season where the their closest game has been 14 points, the Hawks didn’t earn their first ranking until slipping into the No. 7 spot after the second week. Hartley spent two weeks in that spot before moving up a spot to No. 6. After two more weeks in that spot, the Hawks crept up to No. 5, where they spent the last three weeks.
Unless one of the top three teams -- No. 1 Dublin Coffman, No. 2 Pickerington North or No. 3 Hilliard Darby -- it’s likely that the Hawks have reached their ceiling in the poll. However, that’s quite the company for the Hawks.
Below is the poll as selected by ThisWeekSPORTS.com writers. A unanimous selection is 77 points.
1. DUBLIN COFFMAN (8-0), 74 points, eight first-place votes: Last game: Defeated Westland 69-13. Next game: Oct. 19 at Olentangy Liberty. Last week: No. 1
2. PICKERINGTON NORTH (8-0), 69 points, three first-place votes: Last game: Def. Groveport 35-7. Next game: Oct. 19 vs. Gahanna. Last week: No. 2
3. HILLIARD DARBY (8-0), 55 points. Last game: Def. Dublin Scioto 28-24. Next game: Oct.19 vs. Westerville Central. Last week: No. 3
4. HARTLEY (8-0), 37 points. Last game: Def. Ironton 62-6. Next game: Oct. 12 at Coshocton. Last week: No. 5
5. NEW ALBANY (6-2), 26 points. Last game: Def. Big Walnut 17-6. Next game: Oct. 12 at Watkins Memorial. Last week: No. 7
6. DUBLIN SCIOTO (6-2), 23 points: Last game: Lost to Hilliard Darby 28-24. Next game: Oct. 19 vs. Hilliard Bradley. Last week: No. 4
7. OLENTANGY (7-1), 11 points. Last game: Def. Big Walnut 17-6. Next game: Oct. 19 at Watkins Memorial. Westerville South. Last week: Not ranked
Also receiving votes: Gahanna, Westerville South and Hilliard Davidson
Dropped out: No. 6 Westerville Central