Upsets juggle final poll
The lead-in to last week’s poll began, “Unless there is an upset …” Well, there wasn’t one, but two, upsets among teams in the top four as No. 1 Dublin Coffman lost to Upper Arlington 23-14 and No. 2 Pickerington North fell to Grove City 13-10.
It made for an interesting dilemma among the staff. Not at No. 1 as Hilliard Darby was the unanimous pick, moving up from No. 3.
Congratulations to the Panthers for winning their first poll championship. The dilemma came in the next three spots. Would Hartley, which had been at No. 4, move ahead of Coffman and North? The first question to the ThisWeekSPORTS.com staff was should the unbeaten Hawks move up? A Division IV power moving ahead of a pair of one-loss Division I teams? Four panelists thought so, moving Hartley to No. 2. However, it just wasn’t enough as Coffman slid to No. 2 and North to No. 3. Hartley came up two votes shy of North.
Rounding out the poll were Dublin Scioto, Olentangy and New Albany, with the latter two flipping spots from last week.
All seven teams in the poll advanced to the playoffs. As we close the regular season, let’s take a look at our preseason poll: Pickerington Central, Dublin Coffman, Pickerington North, Westerville South, Hilliard Davidson, Marion-Franklin and Upper Arlington.
Below is the poll as selected by ThisWeekSPORTS.com writers.
A unanimous selection is 77 points.
1. HILLIARD DARBY (10-0), 77 points, 11 first-place votes. Last game: Def. Hilliard Bradley 42-0. Next game: Oct. 26 at Hilliard Bradley. Last week: No. 3
2. DUBLIN COFFMAN (9-1), 60 points: Last game: Lost to Upper Arlington 23-14. Last week: No. 1
3. PICKERINGTON NORTH (9-1), 53 points: Last game: Lost to Grove City 13-10. Last week: No. 2
4. HARTLEY (10-0), 51 points. Last game: Def. Ready 42-8. Last week: No. 4
5. DUBLIN SCIOTO (8-2), 5 points: Last game: Def. Worthington Kilbourne 24-7. Last week: No. 5
6. OLENTANGY (9-1), 16 points. Last game: Def. Delaware 42-10. Last week: No. 7
7. NEW ALBANY (8-2), 15 points. Last game: Def. Mount Vernon 38-14. Last week: No. 6
Also receiving votes: Westerville South, Pickerington Central and Hilliard Davidson
Dropped out: None