Davidson opens season atop poll
In our summer series of the All-Time ThisWeek Football Team, Hilliard Davidson’s Brian White was named the No. 1 coach. So it only seems fitting that his Wildcats are at the top of the Super 7 preseason poll. There is much more than coincidence behind this, however. The Wildcats were No. 1 on 10 of 11 ballots, and with every successful team there’s intangibles that sets it apart. “We’re really tight,” White said of his team. “We have a lot of experience coming back.” Davidson won Division I state titles in 2006 and 2009. To think this is the year the Wildcats win a third may be a bit premature … or is it?
Pickerington Central was the only other team to earn a No. 1 vote. The Tigers entered last season with five returning starters, yet still went 7-3 and earn a playoff berth. Now it’s time for the upswing as Central returns eight starters on each side of the ball and that could mean a deep playoff run for the Tigers. Westerville Central, Westerville South, Upper Arlington, Pickerington North and New Albany round out the top seven.
We all know that preseason polls rarely look the same as the final one. Isn’t that why we play the games? Enjoy the season; we sure will. Below is the poll as selected by ThisWeekSPORTS.com writers.
A unanimous selection is 77 points:
1. Hilliard Davidson (10-3 last season), 76 points, 10 first-place votes. Opener: Aug 30 vs. Grove City
2. Pickerington Central (7-3), 58 points, one first-place vote. Opener: Aug. 30 at Centerville
3. Westerville Central (7-3), 56 points. Opener Aug. 30 vs. DeSales
4. Westerville South (8-3), 47 points. Opener: Aug. 30 vs. Groveport
5. Upper Arlington (6-4), 22 points. Opener: Aug. 30 vs. Marion-Franklin
6. Pickerington North (12-2), 19 points. Opener: Aug. 30 vs. St. Charles
7. New Albany (11-3), 18 points. Opener: Aug. 30 vs. Reynoldsburg
Also receiving votes: Hartley (6), Marion-Franklin (5) and Olentangy (1).