Despite Hilliard Davidson remaining firmly entrenched as the No. 1 team in the Super 7 poll, there are some entertaining decisions in the poll, which for the first time this season is an all-Ohio Capital Conference poll.
Who’s No. 2, New Albany or Pickerington North? For another week, the Eagles stay at that position, one spot ahead of the Panthers, but the margin has been trimmed from 10 votes to seven.
Marion-Franklin lost to Hartley 28-14 and fell out of the poll.
The battle is on for that spot between Olentangy and Westerville Central. The Warhawks were fifth last week, one spot better than the Braves. However, Olentangy jumped past Central into fourth, by three votes.
Pickerington Central earned its first victory after a bye week and moved up one spot to No. 6. Joining the poll is one of the biggest surprises this year – Marysville, which improved to 3-0 with a 30-28 victory over Dublin Scioto.
Below is the poll as selected by ThisWeekSPORTS.com writers.
A unanimous selection is 77 points.
1. HILLIARD DAVIDSON (2-0), 77 points, 11 first-place votes. Last game: Defeated Hilliard Darby 21-0. Next game: Sept. 20 vs. Dublin Coffman. Last week: No. 1
2. NEW ALBANY (2-0), 64 points. Last week: Def. DeSales 17-0. Next game Sept. 20 vs. Olentangy Orange. Last week: No. 2
3. PICKERINGTON NORTH (2-0), 57 points. Last week: Def. Freemont Ross 60-27 Next game: Sept. 20 at Newark. Last week: No. 3
4. WESTERVILLE CENTRAL (1-1), 37 points. Last week: Def. Independence 54-32. Next game: Sept. 20 at Dublin Scioto. Last week: No. 5
5. OLENTANGY (2-0), 34 points. Last week: Def. Lexington 48-21. Next game: Sept. 20 vs. Big Walnut. Last week: No. 6
6. PICKERINGTON CENTRAL (1-1), 19 points. Last game: Def. Middletown 39-14. Next game: Sept. 20 at Lancaster. Last week: No. 7
7. MARYSVILLE (3-0), 12 points. Last game: Def. Dublin Scioto 30-28.Next game: Sept. 20 vs. Westland. Last week: Not ranked
Also receiving votes: Hartley (8).
Dropped out: No. 4 Marion-Franklin