Girl charged with OVI, other offenses after crash
Upper Arlington police Feb. 15 responded to a report that a female driver had crashed her vehicle into a tree in the 1800 block of Lane Road and fled the scene. They located the driver, a juvenile, at her home approximately a block away.
Police said she performed poorly on a series of field-sobriety tests and was placed in the back of a police cruiser, where she began to scream and cry before repeatedly kicking the rear passenger window of the vehicle until it broke.
The girl was taken to a juvenile detention center and charged with OVI, reckless operation, driving under suspension, failure to reinstate, no operator's license and vandalism.
Following that incident, a male relative of the girl was charged with violating a protection order for reportedly entering the front yard of the person who had called police, yelling at her and becoming verbally abusive.
In other recent Upper Arlington Division of Police incident reports:
* A computer, four pieces of jewelry and a firearm valued at a total of $5,900 were reported stolen Feb. 23 from a house in the 2200 block of Ridgeview Road. A resident told police the burglary took place when she left her home unlocked and unattended for approximately 30 minutes.
* An employee of a department store in the 1800 block of West Lane Avenue detained a woman Feb. 23 for allegedly attempting to steal a shirt valued at $39.99. The woman was charged with theft.
* More than $758 in unauthorized purchases were reported made Feb. 21 against the credit card of a resident of the 1900 block of Hillside Drive.
* Police received a report Feb. 18 that a $702 check written on a closed account had been was issued to a business in the 2100 block of Arlington Avenue.
* Two purses valued at a total of $376 were reported stolen Feb. 23 from a department store in the 3100 block of Kingsdale Center by a woman. According to police, she entered the store from a side door and left with the items after being in the store less than two minutes.
* Police arrested a man Feb. 17 in the 3500 block of Prestwick Court, Columbus, and charged him with assault and domestic violence.
* Police responded to a reported hit-skip accident Feb. 16 in the area of Northwest Boulevard and West Lane Avenue and stopped a man driving a damaged vehicle which met the description of one in the report. He subsequently was charged with OVI, failure to obey a traffic control device, expired tags, expired operator's license and failure to stop after an accident.
* On five separate occasions, "for sale" signs posted on a vacant lot in the 4900 block of Oldbridge Drive were damaged or thrown into a nearby pond. The total property loss was valued at $1,950.
* Police charged a man with theft Feb. 15 after he reportedly attempted to steal several DVDs valued in total at $247 from a grocery store in the 1900 block of West Henderson Road.