The Upper Arlington Historical Society and the city of Upper Arlington will induct the two newest members of the UA Wall of Honor May 19.
The ceremony will begin at 3 p.m. at the Upper Arlington Municipal Services Center, 3600 Tremont Road.
This year's inductees are former Ohio State University Professor George R. Haddad and James T. Miller, viewed by some as Upper Arlington's first resident.
The Wall of Honor annually commemorates a deceased resident for his or her achievements and contributions to the city, Ohio or the U.S.
Haddad (1918-2010) was recognized in Canada, Europe and the United States as an accomplished pianist and teacher.
At OSU, he was aprofessor for 35 years, artist-in-residence and professor emeritus, and established the George Haddad Piano Scholarship. He won a presidential citation for excellence in education, was the first winner of the Prix-de-Canada and was an alumnus of the University of Toronto, Julliard and Paris Conservatory.
Miller (1846-1919) was the city's mayor from 1918-19. His former home is now the site of First Community Village. In 1913, he sold 840 acres for $1 per acre to Ben and King Thompson, who ultimately used the land to establish what became Upper Arlington. In 1918, Miller became the first mayor of Upper Arlington, which at that time was a village.
More information about the ceremony is available online at uaoh.net.
-- Nate Ellis