Upper Arlington: Woman suspected of shoplifting
Upper Arlington police chose not to file charges against a woman who allegedly instructed her 5-year-old son to shoplift items from a local store.
According to police reports, a 26-year-old woman who they did not identify was stopped by staff members at a department store in the 1800 block of West Henderson Road at 8:47 p.m. Aug. 27, because the employees suspected her of shoplifting.
A store employee said he witnessed the woman "acting suspiciously and concealing merchandise in the restroom," police reports said. The woman then allegedly gave her 5-year-old son two wallets and told him to walk out of the store.
Upon arrival, police received consent to search the woman's purse and allegedly found four pairs of stolen shoes.
However, the police report stated the officer did not file charges against the woman because her child was present and because she hadn't left the store with the items.
The woman was issued a "no-trespass" warning and told not to return to the store.
In other recent Upper Arlington Police Division incident reports:
* An Upper Arlington woman reported she was threatened by an acquaintance while jogging on Coach Road between 11:15 and 11:30 a.m. Aug. 24.
* A hauling trailer was reported stolen from a Columbus man after it was parked at the rear of a business in the 2100 block of Riverside Drive between 5 p.m. Aug. 22 and 8 a.m. Aug. 24.
* Approximately $250 in cash was reported stolen from a home in the 4600 block of Elan Court between 9 a.m. and noon Aug. 16.
* A duffle bag and $1.50 in cash were reported stolen from a vehicle parked in the 1500 block of Longeaton Road. Entry was gained by breaking a window, causing $390 in damage.
* An employee at Windermere Elementary School, 4101 Windermere Road, reported someone wrote "NTP" in what appeared to be ice cream on a school storage shed between 5 p.m. Aug. 21 and 7 a.m. Aug. 23.
* A laptop computer valued at $1,000 and a backpack valued at $45 were reported stolen from a vehicle parked in a shopping center lot in the 1600 block of West Lane Avenue between 12:15 and 12:25 p.m. Aug. 20. Entry was gained by breaking a window, causing $500 in damage.
* A wallet valued at $30, a credit card, $25 in cash and a personal identification card were reported stolen from a vehicle parked in the 3800 block of Waldo Place between 9 p.m. Aug. 20 and 7:15 a.m. Aug. 21.