Columbus police last week arrested a suspected car thief after he allegedly crashed into several vehicles while attempting to elude authorities, and then fled on foot through an Upper Arlington neighborhood.
A Columbus police sergeant reported to Upper Arlington police at 11:12 a.m. April 14 that he was following a suspected stolen vehicle near the intersection of Lane Avenue and Tremont Road.
As UAPD officers were responding to the scene, the Columbus officer reported the driver of the 1995 Jeep Cherokee had crashed into "several" vehicles and the vehicle was disabled at the intersection.
The suspect, identified only as a 21-year-old man, fled on foot and ran north on York Road from Lane Avenue. He then jumped a fence before he was apprehended by UAPD officers in the 2600 block of Tremont Road.
He was treated by Upper Arlington Fire Division medics after stating he was having difficulty breathing.
The man was taken into custody by Columbus police, who also took possession of the Jeep, and lockdowns were lifted shortly afterward at Tremont Elementary and St. Agatha schools.
In other Upper Arlington Police Division reports:
* After responding to an alleged domestic dispute between family members at a home in the 2300 block of Zollinger Road at 10:47 p.m. April 17, police searched the backpack of a male juvenile, age not provided, and reported finding 31 alprazolam pills and an electronic cigarette with a vial of liquid nicotine.
The boy was charged with possession of drugs and possession of e-cigarettes by a minor and released to his mother.
* A woman in the 1900 block of Collingswood Road reported April 17 that while trying to file her federal income tax forms, the Internal Revenue Service informed her that someone else had already filed a tax return using her Social Security number.
* When they tried to file a joint federal income tax form April 15, the IRS informed a couple living in the 2700 block of Abington Road that someone else had already filed a return using their personal information.
* A student at Upper Arlington High School, 1650 Ridgeview Road, reported he was struck four times in the back of the head by another male student after exiting a classroom at 3 p.m. April 15.
* A fountain pump in the rear yard of a home in the 1300 block of Darcann Drive was vandalized between April 1 and 9 a.m. April 15. The pump was valued at $10, police reports said.
* Approximately $5 worth of coins were reported stolen from an unlocked vehicle while it was parked in the 2300 block of Haverford Road between 8 and 11:59 p.m. April 12.