Passersby last week helped police return several stolen items to their rightful owners after the property was found along local roadways.
In one instance, Upper Arlington police returned a purse valued at $100, along with credit cards and personal documents to a woman living in the 2400 block of Edington Road.
The items were found by another woman, who said she saw them along the roadway in the 2500 block of Edington Road at 6 a.m. April 22.
The victim told police her purse was taken from her unlocked vehicle sometime after 10 p.m. April 21. Additionally, $75 in cash was recovered, but was being held by police.
In the second instance, an air tester valued at $1,700, an aluminum frame valued at $450, a gun case valued at $65 and a bag valued at $40 were found by a resident near her home in the 2100 block of Guilford Road at 7 a.m. April 23.
Police called a telephone number located inside the bag. A man living in the 2100 block of Fairfax Road told officers the items had been stolen from his driveway around 3 p.m. April 19 after he set them there while cleaning out his garage.
In other recent Upper Arlington Police Division reports:
• A man in the 1200 block of Windham Road reported April 14 that an unknown person filed a federal income tax return using his personal information.
• Five personal checks were stolen from a woman living on Colchester Road between April 5 and April 8. According to the man who reported the thefts, someone attempted to use the checks to purchase a total of $498.38 in merchandise from a nearby pharmacy.
• A laptop computer valued at $500, a digital picture frame valued at $200, two electronic readers each valued at $200 and a kitchen knife valued at $100 were reported stolen from a home in the 5100 block of Riverside Drive between 8:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. April 22. The resident stated someone entered the home through an unlocked patio door.
• A set of golf clubs valued at $1,200, a golf bag valued at $200, "miscellaneous golf items" valued at $100 and $10 in cash were stolen from two unlocked vehicles parked in the 2300 block of Brixton Road between 4:30 and 7:45 a.m. April 22.
• Approximately $5 in change was stolen from an unlocked vehicle parked in the 2300 block of Canterbury Road between 12:16 p.m. April 21 and 12:16 p.m. April 22.
• A vehicle key valued at $200 and sunglasses valued at $40 were stolen from an unlocked vehicle parked in the 2200 block of Dorset Road between 5 p.m. April 21 and 9:30 a.m. April 22.
• A total of $200 in cash, a digital camera and two gift cards were stolen from two unlocked vehicles at a home in the 2500 block of Edington Road between 9 p.m. April 21 and 6:30 a.m. April 22.
• A laptop computer valued at $300 was stolen from a vehicle parked in the 1400 block of Ardwick Road between 6:45 p.m. April 21 and 6:45 a.m. April 22. The suspect gained entry by breaking a passenger-side window, which caused $350 in damage, police reports said.