Upper Arlington police are investigating an alleged scam in which the victim said he lost $85,000.
A resident in the 4900 block of Stonehaven Drive told police June 6 that he was defrauded last month by an unknown person claiming the man had won a Publisher's Clearing House prize.
He said he was contacted in writing about winning the prize, then received a phone call from an unknown person around May 14 who convinced him he needed to provide a payment to Publisher's Clearing House to cover costs of international taxes before he could receive his winnings.
The man said he submitted an $85,000 payment to "Santander Business Bank" in the United Kingdom through his local bank account.
Although he contacted his bank and Publisher's Clearing House about the apparent fraud, he did so after the transaction was completed, police reports said.
As of last week, police had made no arrests in the case. A police report stated the telephone calls made to the local man came from Alberta, Canada.
In other recent Upper Arlington Police Division reports:
* An unidentified 53-year-old man was given a "no trespass" order after he allegedly approached a female teacher at Windermere Elementary School, 4101 Windermere Road, at 12:20 p.m. June 4, backed her against a wall and cursed at her. According to the teacher, the man was upset because a planned outdoor picnic had been relocated indoors due to inclement weather.
* The passenger window of an a vehicle was broken out while it was parked in the carport of a home in the 2800 block of Brandon Road between 10 p.m. June 7 and 12:15 p.m. June 8.
* A garage door in the 4100 block of Oxford Drive was vandalized by someone who wrote "TG" on it in permanent marker between 9 p.m. June 6 and 10 a.m. June 7.
* A girl's bicycle valued at $300 was reported stolen from Hastings Middle School, 1850 Hastings Lane, between 8 a.m. June 4 and 9 a.m. June 6.
* A man's bicycle valued at $500 was stolen from an open garage in the 1800 block of Tremont Road between midnight and 8:30 a.m. June 4.
* A backpack valued at $60 and $1 in cash were reported stolen from an unlocked vehicle parked in the 1900 block of Coventry Road between 11 p.m. June 3 and 7:50 a.m. June 4.
* A woman living in the 2200 block of Shrewsbury Road reported someone spraypainted an interior wall in her garage between 6 p.m. June 5 and 10 a.m. June 7.
* A front bay window at a home in the 2500 block of McCoy Road was damaged when a BB or pellet gun round was fired through it between 11:15 p.m. June 1 and 9:30 a.m. June 2. Damage was listed at $1,000.
* A Marysville, Ohio, man reported he was driving near the intersection of Fishinger and Reed roads at 11:01 p.m. June 4 when his vehicle was struck by a beer bottle thrown from an oncoming vehicle. The bottle caused $600 in damage to the man's car, police reports said.