Upper Arlington News

Police need help to solve cases


Upper Arlington police are seeking tips to determine who has been vandalizing local properties and vehicles with spray paint.

In recent months, the Upper Arlington Police Division has received multiple reports of spray paint taggings.

As was the case July 18 and 19, when the division received eight reports of someone vandalizing property with pink spray paint, victims have found their vehicles or homes defaced with obscene images or words.

In the most recent reports, the incidents occurred during the overnight hours. They also took place on the city's west side, including Abington, Charing and South Dorchester roads.

But police said last week that similar crimes have occurred in other parts of the city.

"It's not one particular area," said UAPD Sgt. Jon Wilhelm. "Hastings (Middle) School has had a couple of incidents where vehicles or the school has been painted with vulgar images or comments.

"We've had reports scattered over the past few months."

Wilhelm added that police are on the lookout for vandals, but they need help.

"We don't have any suspects," he said. "We don't know who's doing it.

"These kinds of crimes take information from the public to solve. I'm sure there are people out there who know who's doing it or who have heard something."

Typically, such incidents of vandalism are considered criminal damaging, which is a second-degree misdemeanor, Wilhelm said.

He added the crimes are costly because victims have to repaint vehicles or homes, and that vigilant residents can help combat them.

"We hope the residents will keep a sharp eye out, not only for their own property but for their neighbors'," he said. "If you see something, call us right away. Don't wait."

To report a crime in progress, call the UAPD at 614-583-5410 or 614-583-5411.

Anyone with information about the vandalism is asked to call the UAPD at 614-583-5150.