West Side News

Prairie Township tries again for OPWC funding

Money would be used to widen Evergreen Terrace and reconstruct Gladys Road

By ThisWeek Community News  • 

Prairie Township trustees will pursue state funds for two major road construction projects they hope to start in 2015.

Trustees voted Sept. 4 to apply for Ohio Public Works Commission (OPWC) money for improvements to Evergreen Terrace and the reconstruction of Gladys Road. This is the second time trustees have applied for grant money specifically for these two roads.

Township Administrator Tracy Hatmaker said the township has been successful in the past in obtaining millions in grant money from the OPWC.

"This township has been successful in obtaining over $13 million in OPWC money," Hatmaker said. "We have benefitted greatly, as well, working with Stantec in order to pursue these projects."

Mary Sherrets, project manager for Stantec Consulting, said if the township is awarded the grant, it would cover 74 percent of the cost of those road projects. The other 26 percent would be funded with a no-interest loan, she said.

The Evergreen Terrace project is estimated to cost $2 million and the Gladys Road project cost is estimated at $1.2 million, Sherrets said. Work on Evergreen Terrace would extend from West Broad Street to Sullivant Avenue. The Gladys Road project would extend from West Broad Street to Owens.

Sherrets said work on Evergreen Terrace would include widening the road and installing sidewalks and traffic-calming devices. Gladys Road would also be rebuilt, she said.

The township will know if its OPWC application is successful by December, Sherrets said. If so, work on the two projects would begin in the spring of 2015.

In other business, Hatmaker said curbside leaf collection will begin Oct. 15. Workers will start in the eastern portion of the township and then work west, repeating the process throughout the fall.

Hatmaker said residents can keep tabs on the where leaves are being picked up by tracking progress online at the township website at www.prairietownship.org.

The next Prairie Township Board of Trustees meeting is slated for 7 p.m. Sept. 18 at the township hall, 23 Maple Drive.

Comments