Nearly 400 members of the Bishop Watterson High School community attended the blessing of the south addition cornerstone and opening of the 1954 time capsule, held Sept. 13.

Nearly 400 members of the Bishop Watterson High School community attended the blessing of the south addition cornerstone and opening of the 1954 time capsule, held Sept. 13.

The cornerstone was blessed by Monsignor John Cody, Monsignor Kenneth Grimes, Marian Hutson and state Sen. Jim Hughes, as well as representatives of the alumni association, athletic association, band boosters, campaign leadership team, Dominican sisters, Mothers' Club, school board and student council.

Following the blessing, a prayer service was held and the 1954 time capsule was unveiled. Items in the time capsule included a Citizen Journal newspaper from Sept. 29, 1954; a rosary; a St. Dominic holy card and statue; a scapula; a photo of the Dominican sisters; a penny; a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary; religious medals; and a guide letter to parents.

Items placed in the new time capsule include an iPod, cell phone, a Bishop Watterson girl's jumper, an American flag, senior class pictures, a letter from the principal and more.

The dedication of the south addition will be held Nov. 2.