The city of Westerville has put out its annual call to residents asking for volunteers to serve on its boards and commissions.
Vacancies for each board will begin Dec. 31. Applications, which are available on the city's website at www.westerville.org, must be submitted to the city by Oct. 15.
To be eligible to serve on a board or commission, applicants must have lived in the city of Westerville for at least six months, must be a registered voter and cannot serve as an elected official or on any other board or commission.
The applications are reviewed by City Council, which then appoints people to the boards or commissions.
The open seats on boards and commissions include:
* Two vacancies on the Planning Commission. The commission, which consists of seven members including a Westerville City Council member, meets on the fourth Wednesday of the month to hear proposals on land use, development and related regulations.
Members of the Planning Commission serve four-year terms.
* Two vacancies on the Board of Zoning Appeals, one of which is an unexpired term. The seven-member board meets on the second Thursday of every month to make decisions on requests for property variances and temporary-use permits.
Members of the Board of Zoning Appeals serve four-year terms.
* Two vacancies on the Recreation Advisory Board. The nine-member board meets on the third Thursday of every month to discuss recreational programs, needs and facilities to make recommendations to the city.
Members of the Recreation Advisory Board serve three-year terms.
* Two vacancies on the Uptown Review Board. The seven-member board meets on the first Thursday of every month to decide on proposed changes in the Uptown district, including new construction or changes to existing buildings. The board is charged with protecting Uptown's historical characteristics.
Members of the Uptown Review Board serve three-year terms.
* One vacancy on the Personnel Review Board. The three-member board meets as needed to hear appeals on disciplinary decisions for Westerville city and school district employees.
Members of the Personnel Review Board serve three-year terms.
* Two vacancies on the Income Tax Review Board, one of which is an alternate position. The three-member board meets as needed to hear appeals to issues related to the city's income tax.
Members of the Income Tax Review Board serve three-year terms.
* Three vacancies on the Shade Tree Commission, one of which is an unexpired term. The seven-member commission makes recommendations to the city on the care, selection, preservation, planting and removal of trees and shrubs in public areas.
Members of the commission serve three-year terms.
* One vacancy on the Visitors and Convention Bureau. The seven-member board meets on the second Tuesday of every month and works to market Westerville attractions and plan events to encourage visitors to the city.
Members of the Visitors and Convention Bureau serve two-year terms.
Those interested in applying for a board or commission position can find information through the city's website or by contacting Westerville Clerk of Council Mary Johnston at email@example.com or 614-901-6410.
Applications should be returned to the council clerk's office at 21 S. State St.