Man in wheelchair assaulted, robbed of $40
A 50-year-old disabled man was assaulted and robbed at 2:15 p.m. Nov. 3 behind the Westerville Square Shopping Center, 76 E. Schrock Road, Westerville police reported.
Investigators said the victim, who uses a wheelchair, was outside a restaurant near the corner of Schrock Road and State Street when two men approached him and demanded money.
10TV reported the men punched the victim in the face and head when he refused to give them money. The robbers fled the scene after the victim gave them $40, police said.
The victim described one robber as a white man in a blue winter coat and the other as a black man wearing a red hooded sweatshirt, 10TV reported.
The Westerville Division of Police is asking residents to keep a watchful eye on vacant homes in city neighborhoods, following a rash of copper piping thefts from vacant houses in the past two weeks.
* A home in the 300 block of South Sunbury Road was broken into between 2 p.m. Oct. 29 and 6:30 p.m. Nov. 2, and copper pipes were stolen from the water heater and furnace. The home was vacant but in the process of being sold, police said.
A real estate agent was the one who discovered and reported the theft.
* Vacant, foreclosed-upon houses on the market to be sold were robbed of their copper pipes between Oct. 10 and Oct. 15. One was in the 1300 block of Nutmeg Court and the other was in the 100 block of Sassafras Way.
* Blendon Township police reported copper pipes were stolen from the basement of a house in the 5300 block of Hamilton Road between Oct. 29 and Nov. 1.
Police are asking residents to be attentive and report any suspicious people or vehicles in the vicinity of vacant houses.
In other recent police incident reports:
* A wallet was reported stolen from an unlocked vehicle parked in the 1100 block of Whitney Lane between 8:15 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. Oct. 29.
* A 23-year-old man and a 22-year-old woman were arrested at 6:45 p.m. Oct. 29 for stealing two Westerville street signs.