Holiday performances fill the December calendar in Westerville. Some of the highlights:
* Baroque Hymns and Good Cheer at 7 p.m. Dec. 2. The Westerville Symphony's annual Sounds of the Season concert is a favorite holiday tradition for hundreds of local families. Associate Conductor Jim Bates leads a smaller chamber orchestra through a rousing program of holiday-themed classical works and other Yuletide favorites including popular audience sing-a-longs.
* Holiday Concert: The Otterbein University choir will present a holiday concert at 8 p.m. Dec. 1 at Westerville Community United Church of Christ, 770 County Line Road. The program will include music of the Advent and Christmas season including Christmas readings.
* The Nutcracker: The Westerville Ballet Company and Straub Dance Center will present The Nutcracker at 2 and 7 p.m. Dec. 15 at Westerville South High School.
* The Westerville Christmas Spectacular: The Generations Performing Art Center Dec. 8 at Westerville Central High School. A children's concert will be presented in the morning. A full-length show will be presented in the afternoon and evening. Call 614-794-3298 to purchase tickets.
* Dance Concert: at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 6, 7 and 8 and at 2 and 8 p.m. Dec. 9, in the Fritsche Theatre at Cowan Hall, 30 S. Grove St. "It began with ... the beat of the heart, the snap of the fire, the rhythm of the machine, the blink of the screen, the flash of the text, the buzz of the chip. Once separated, a single light brought us together and with a 'finger on the pulse -- the techno pulse,' we have discovered each other."
* Holiday Concert: Westerville Concert Band presents its holiday concert at 3 p.m. Dec. 16 at Westerville Central High School, 7118 Mount Royal Ave. Free and open to the public. Concert features seasonal favorites and a visit from Santa, westervillebands.com.
* The Heart of a Who, A VERY Grinchy Tale: 6 p.m. Dec. 1, 2, at the Westerville Church of the Nazarene, 355 Cherrington Road, and Dec. 8, 9 at Newstart Community Church, 168 E. Olentangy St. in Powell; along with Leap of Faith and all R friends and featuring the puppets of Mr. L and live music from Three Days Wait, tmcp.info or 614-882-2148.
* Progressive Christmas Concert: 6:30 to 8:45 p.m. Dec. 14 presented by the Westerville Habitat Partnership. Costumed guides will lead participants on a tour of three historic churches in the Uptown District -- First Presbyterian, Church of the Master, and Church of the Messiah, where they can enjoy the seasonal decorations and Christmas music. Tickets are $5/person; 740-965-4999 or 614-891-4057.
* A Joyful Noise: The Scioto Brass Holiday Concert -- 5:30 p.m. Dec. 9 at Grace Lutheran Church, 100 E. Schrock Road. Freewill offering accepted, 614-882-7968.
* Hanby Christmas Open House: 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. Dec. 8 and 9, 160 W. Main St. Messiah Handbells perform in the parlor from 1:30 to 3 p.m., followed by Steve Ball playing his Civil War guitar from 3 to 4:30 p.m.. Enjoy the holiday decorations as you stroll through the Hanby family home. From Servitude to Service, the new video featuring more than 40 local performers, will be shown on the hour and half hour. Refreshments served. Admission charged. Visit hanbyhouse.org for more details.
Jane Denick is a member of the Arts Council of Westerville.
December arts events
The Westerville ArtsLine column and calendar is provided by the Arts Council of Westerville and printed as a public service by ThisWeek Westerville News & Public Opinion. Email listing submissions to email@example.com.
Dec. 1, 2, 7, 8 -- Curtain Players presents Proof, 8 p.m., Curtain Players Theater, 5691 Harlem Road, Galena, Ohio 43021. Suitable for ages 13 and up. For reservations call 614-360-1000 or visit curtainplayers.org.
Dec. 2 -- Music in the Atrium, 2 p.m., Westerville Public Library, 126 S. State St. Jim Volk performs traditional and contemporary guitar styles including 16th century, swing tunes and '70s metal.
Dec. 4 -- Sip and Sketch, 6:30 to 8 p.m., Meza, 48 N. State St. Come sample five different wines and enjoy a one-hour sketch class. $15. Price includes wine tasting and art supplies. Advance registration is required. Contact Meza at 614-259-3101 or the Arts Council of Westerville Inc. at 614-882-9071.
Dec. 4, 11, 18 -- Acoustic Jam with John Morgan, 8 to 9:30 p.m., Java Central Coffee House, 20 S. State St. Every Tuesday. 614-839-0698 or java-central.com.
Dec. 7, 14, 21, 28 -- Acoustic Open Mic, 7 to 10 p.m., Java Central, 20 S. State St. One of the best around. Excellent players from all over central Ohio, and beyond. java-central.com or 614-839-0698.
Dec. 9 -- Music in the Atrium, 2 p.m., Westerville Public Library, 126 S. State St. Harpist and music coach Trista Hill.
Dec. 12 -- Songwriters' Group, 7 to 9 p.m., Java Central Coffee House, 20 S. State St. Every second Wednesday. 614-839-0698 or java-central.com.
Dec. 16 -- Bluegrass Jam with Larry/Heidi/Carl, 1 to 3 p.m., Java Central Coffee House, 20 S. State St. 614-839-0698 or java-central.com.
Dec. 16 -- Music in the Atrium, 2 p.m., Westerville Public Library, 126 S. State St. Hear an acoustic melting pot of folk, rock and jazz provided by guitarist Patrick Woods.
Dec. 23 -- Music in the Atrium, 2 p.m., Westerville Public Library, 126 S. State St. Listen to a wide array of Christmas, Hannukah, classical and old-time music performed by oboist Jennifer Day-Haeger, violinist Vicky Capper and cellist Dan Clark.