A 13-year-old boy, his 33-year-old mother and her 32-year-old boyfriend were arrested at 3:08 p.m. March 18 for attempting to steal merchandise from a business in the first block of Polaris Parkway.
According to Westerville police, the trio walked around the store, placing compact discs, curtains, a stereo system and a cell phone into their cart.
The boy pushed the cart to the store's doors and paused to look at his mother's boyfriend, police said. The boyfriend nodded at the boy, who then pushed the cart around the store and back out through the doors, according to police reports.
The man and the boy were taken into custody by loss prevention personnel. The woman returned to the store after the boy called her when Westerville police arrived, reports said.
The woman told police that they had been without food in their home for some time and planned to sell stolen merchandise or return it to other stores for food, reports said.
The boy was charged in Delaware County Juvenile Court with theft. His mother was charged with one count of theft, and her boyfriend was charged with one count of complicity to theft.
In other recent Westerville Division of Police incident reports:
* A 43-year-old man was arrested at 2:40 p.m. March 17 for attempting to steal $55 worth of groceries from a business in the first block of Polaris Parkway.
* Construction crews reported that $3,600 of copper wire and scrap copper were stolen from the construction site at Mount Carmel St. Ann's Hospital, 477 Cooper Road, between noon March 16 and 7 a.m. March 18. The metal was stored in locked storage containers, according to reports.
* A 30-year-old man was arrested at 12:15 p.m. March 20 at a business in the 600 block of North State Street after he attempted to purchase $3,000 worth of gift cards with what police believe was a stolen credit card number.
* A set of golf clubs was reported stolen from an open garage in the 1200 block of Scituate Court between noon March 19 and noon March 20.
* A 29-year-old man and a 25-year-old woman were arrested at 6:44 p.m. March 20 for attempting to steal $542 worth of merchandise from a business in the first block of Polaris Parkway.
Both were charged with theft; the woman also was charged with criminal trespassing because she had been banned from the property after being arrested for attempting to steal from another store location in January.
* Construction workers reported that $3,085 worth of tools were stolen from a construction trailer at the Mount Carmel St. Ann's between 7:30 a.m. March 20 and 3:30 p.m. March 22. Thieves also did $500 worth of damage to the trailer, according to reports.