Polaris Parkway at Africa Road was closed for two and a half hours Saturday, July 20, after a truck dumped a large quantity of lime sludge across the intersection.
Westerville police were called to the scene about noon and found the mess, according to reports. Traffic was diverted to Cleveland Avenue and State Street.
A truck had arrived to make a delivery of lime to a nearby farm, police said. The driver opened the tailgate to make the delivery, but muddy conditions didn't allow him to pull onto the farm property.
He drove away, thinking the tailgate was secured, he told police, but spilled a third to half of the load on the roadway. He returned to the scene after the farmer notified his company of the spill.
City staff was dispatched to help clean up the mess, aided by the farmer and the truck driver.
In other recent incident reports from the Westerville Division of Police:
* A man's wallet, containing debit cards and an estimated $120 in cash, was stolen from his vehicle between 10 p.m. July 19 and 1 a.m. July 20 while it was parked in a driveway in the 600 block of East Walnut Street.
* A small amount of cash and two pairs of sunglasses were stolen from an unlocked car between 11 p.m. July 13 and 8 a.m. July 14 while it was parked in the 300 block of Westgreen Lane.
In recent reports from the Blendon Township Police Department:
* Fishing supplies and a CD player faceplate were stolen July 15 from a vehicle parked in the 3200 block of Reno Road.
* The window of a vehicle parked in the 4600 block of Cleveland Avenue was broken and two GPS units were stolen July 16.
* A man's wallet was stolen July 19 from an unlocked car parked in the 3000 block of Morse Road.
* A laptop computer, GPS unit and cash were reported stolen July 22 from a vehicle parked in the 4500 block of Ravine Drive.