City seeks volunteers for boards, commissions
City Council once again is calling on residents to volunteer to sit on Westerville's various boards and commissions.
Effective Dec. 31, the city will have multiple vacancies on its eight boards and commissions.
The vacancies include:
* One four-year term on the Planning Commission. The seven-member commission meets on the fourth Wednesday of each month to hear proposals on land use, development and related regulations.
* Two four-year terms on the Board of Zoning Appeals. The seven-member board meets the second Tuesday of every month to decide on requests for property variances and temporary-use permits.
* Two three-year terms on the Recreation Advisory Board. The nine-member board meets on the third Thursday of each month to discuss recreational programs, needs and facilities to make recommendations to the city.
* Two three-year terms on the Uptown Review Board. The seven-member board meets the first Thursday of each month to decide on proposed changes to the historic Uptown district, including new construction and changes to existing buildings, with the goal of maintaining Uptown characteristics.
* One three-year term on the Personnel Review Board. The three-member board meets as needed to hear appeals on disciplinary decisions for Westerville city and Westerville City School District employees.
* Two three-year terms and one alternate position on the Income Tax Review Board. The three-member board meets as needed to hear appeals related to the city's income tax.
* Two three-year terms on the Shade Tree Commission. The seven-member commission makes recommendations to the city on the care, selection, preservation, planting and removal of trees and shrubs in public areas.
* One three-year term on the Visitors and Convention Bureau. The seven-member board meets the second Tuesday of each month to market Westerville attractions and plan events to encourage visitors to the city.
To be eligible for appointment to a city board or commission, volunteers must have lived within the city of Westerville's corporate limits for six months, must be a registered elector and cannot hold public office or serve on any other city board or commission or any other position in the city.
Applications are available by calling Clerk of Council Mary Johnston at 614-901-6410 or emailing Johnston at email@example.com, or by visiting the city website, www.Westerville.org.
Applications are due to the council clerk's office, 21 S. State St., by Friday, Oct. 18.