Westerville City Council appointed a new slate of leaders during its biennial organizational meeting Dec. 1.
In Westerville's council-city manager form of government, residents elect the seven members of council, and council members appoint the city's chief administrator, the city manager. Council members also vote among themselves every two years to appoint a chairman, mayor and fill other administrative posts -- all for two-year terms.
Councilman Craig Treneff was appointed at the organizational meeting to serve as council chairman for the next two years. He has served on council since 2004.
The council chairman sets council's agenda in consultation with the city manager and runs the council meetings.
Councilman Larry Jenkins, who was elected in 2009 and won re-election in November, was appointed vice chairman. The vice chairman performs the duties of the chairman in his absence.
Councilwoman Diane Fosselman at the Dec. 1 meeting was voted by her fellow council members to serve the next two years as mayor.
Fosselman has served on City Council since 1999. She served for the last two years as vice mayor.
Councilwoman Jenifer French was appointed to the post of vice mayor. French has served on council since she was appointed in 2010 and earned her first full term on council in the November election.
Other appointments made during the organization meeting were:
• Planning Commission representative: Jenifer French.
• Recreation Advisory Board representative: Pete Otteson.
• Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission representative: Larry Jenkins.
• Westerville Industry and Commerce Corp.: Mike Heyeck.
• Ohio Municipal Electric Association representative: Kathy Cocuzzi.
• Westerville Fund representative: Larry Jenkins.
• Finance and Audit Review Committee representatives: Diane Fosselman, Larry Jenkins and Kathy Cocuzzi.