A 20-year-old Otterbein University student was arrested and charged with burglary at 4:08 a.m. Jan. 11 after he broke into a home in the first block of West Lincoln Street while intoxicated, Westerville police reported.
According to police reports, one of the residents of the home called 911 to report someone was pounding on the outside windows. She locked herself in a bedroom as the person forced their way into the home.
Officers responding to the call forced their way into the home and found the 20-year-old Otterbein student, who had locked himself in a bathroom.
The man said he was celebrating a 21st birthday at a bar in downtown Columbus before being detained by Ohio State police, who he said put him in a taxi back to Westerville.
After the taxi dropped him off at the wrong location, he entered the house with plans to sleep on the couch, he told police.
The student was known by the resident of the house, but she said she did not know he was the one breaking in and said he was not welcome in the house.
The student was transported by Westerville police to the Franklin County jail.
In other recent incident reports from the Westerville Division of Police:
• Westerville police arrested an 18-year-old man for receiving stolen property at 3:54 p.m. Jan. 11 in the 800 block of Tree Bend Drive.
An officer driving in the area of Worthington and County Line roads reported he noticed a car with a broken tail light.
Upon checking the car's registration in his computer, the officer noticed that the car might be stolen, and he proceeded to follow the vehicle while it was confirmed as stolen by Columbus police.
The Westerville officer stopped the vehicle. The driver stated that he had just purchased the vehicle from another man in Columbus but told another officer that he had borrowed it from a friend of a friend.
The driver was charged and transported to the Delaware County jail.
• Two Westerville South High School students were charged with assault through the Franklin County Juvenile Court following a fight at 11:06 a.m. Dec. 12 in the common area of the school, 303 S. Otterbein Ave.
According to reports, one student began punching the other during a lunch period.
Several school employees ran to break up the fight, and a custodian was struck in the melee.
• A business in the 700 block of South State Street was burglarized between 7 p.m. Jan. 7 and 6 a.m. Jan. 8.
An employee reporting to work Jan. 8 noticed that a door had been pried open and reported $100 stolen from a cash register.
• A pedestrian sustained minor injuries at 6:35 p.m. Jan. 5 after being struck by a car while crossing North State Street at East Home Street.
Witnesses reported that the pedestrian was dressed in dark clothing, and it was dark and raining at the time of the accident. The car involved was obeying the speed limit, and the traffic signal at the intersection was blinking yellow, witnesses told police.
The accident was under investigation by the Westerville Division of Police.
• An empty purse was stolen from a locked car parked in a lot in the 700 block of East Walnut Street between 7:30 and 10:45 a.m. Jan. 9.
The purse had been placed on the floor of the car, and a window was smashed to gain entry. The purse was recovered in the parking lot.