A 54-year-old Westerville man was arrested and charged with robbery at 1:30 p.m. Feb. 27 after he attempted to steal nearly $400 worth of merchandise from a business in the first block of West Schrock Road and attacked store employees, Westerville police reported.
According to police reports, the store's employees noticed the man walking around the store with valuable items in his cart. He covered the merchandise with bags and then attempted to leave the store without paying.
The man was approached by the store's management and seemed to comply as they asked him to come to the store's office.
But the man then attacked the store's manager, tackling him to the ground, reports said.
He was restrained by the manager and several store employees until police arrived.
In other recent incident reports from the Westerville Division of Police:
• Thieves smashed out the window of a woman's car and stole her purse off of the floorboards while the vehicle was parked between 4:50 and 4:55 p.m. Feb. 25 in front of a business in the 100 block of Polaris Parkway.
• Nine pieces of cardiovascular equipment were reported stolen at 2 p.m. Feb. 15 from a building in the 100 block of Huber Village Boulevard. The equipment was being stored in the building by the building's owner while the building was being sublet to another company.
• An 88-year-old woman crashed her car at 1:20 p.m. Feb. 26 into a building in the 400 block of Cleveland Avenue as she attempted to park. The collision caused structural damage to both the building's interior and exterior.
• Thieves smashed out the window of a woman's car and stole her purse between 2:40 and 3:40 p.m. Feb. 26 while the vehicle was parked in a lot in the 300 block of Cleveland Avenue.
• Thieves stole two credit cards from a woman's purse, which was in her unattended car, between 2 and 3:45 p.m. March 1 while the vehicle was parked in a lot in the 300 block of Cleveland Avenue. The cards later were used to make more than $1,000 in purchases from stores in Circleville.
In recent reports from the Blendon Township Police Department:
• A man holding a baseball bat exited his car as it was stopped at a light Feb. 25 in the 6000 block of Westerville Road and smashed the windshield of the car stopped behind his.